I Saw My First Protest, And I Felt Like I Wasn't Allowed To Have A Voice

It’s as if we are at war with our own country.
250

Americans are blessed to be citizens of a country who, under the law, obtain the freedom of speech. Each and every one of us gets to have a voice about whatever, whenever we want.

...So how come when I saw my first protest I felt as if I was restricted?

Now, I’m not saying that I joined in and was just speaking my mind. I’m saying, I felt as if there was a lot to take in, and if I were to say one thing, I would be intimidated.

It is a crazy concept to grasp because if I were to disagree with what the protestors were preaching, I would be ridiculed, yet they want us to listen to them. People involved claim to be “protesting,” but they’re one-sided and refuse to listen to valid points of everyone they are protesting against.

...So if we don’t listen...And if they don’t listen...Why are we being the ones ridiculed for it? Because they make a scene? Because they hold the contradicting side of the argument? Or is it because they are willing to publicly disrespect our country?

Respect is an important word for all of these protests. Whether it be peaceful or whether it is taken further to a riot, respect is something that I am just not seeing from all of these folks.

I hate the fact that people are stomping on American flags, burning them, voicing their opinion and expecting us to say NOTHING. If we do, WE are wrong.

The flag is a powerful symbol for our country. It represents our freedom, and relevant to what I said before, it represents our freedom of speech. However, it is also a sign for those soldiers who have fought, still are fighting, and plan to fight for our country. There are soldiers who have died for them to be a representation of this freedom of theirs, and how are they treating it? Not with respect, I will boldly say that.

Law enforcement is also put in danger as they never know how far these protests will go… Many experience extended work hours, to protect US, we the people of the United States, which means that even the people who are protesting are being protected as well.

And overall, if there is one thing our country must take away from these protests, it is that there needs to be a respect for those who are risking their lives for us.

Law enforcement, thank you for your service.

United States Military, thank you for your service.

America, thank you for our freedom. Let us learn how to use it the proper way.