30 Things I Learned In The First 30 Days Of College

You learn something new every day.

297
YouTube

1. Study as much as you can, and then some.

In high school you could get away with studying the night before your test and just winging it, but in college tests are so much more comprehensive and there aren’t study guides. Take your own notes and read the book.

2.Don’t forget study breaks.

Despite the importance of studying, breaks are also important. Shut your laptop, close your notebook, and go out with some friends for food, a walk, or a gym break. It’ll make all the difference.

3. Coffee is amazing.

Maybe you knew this one before but my first cup of coffee was from the Dunkin in Perkins and now I’m hooked on medium hot French Vanilla and Pumpkin swirls.

4. You don’t have to go out every night.

No seriously, please don’t go out every night. You don’t need that, take a night for yourself or have a girls night in or call your parents. Be productive one night and go out another, it’s all about balance.

5. Go to sporting events.

Whether its the sport you played in high school, a football game, or the sport your ‘floomie’ (floor-mate) plays, just go and support your school. Wear your colors with pride because someday you’ll come back as an alum and reminisce on the days when you stood in the student section cheering, yelling at referees, and jamming to the music that the stadium always cuts off too soon.

6. Find a go-to-show.

No you don’t watch television all that often at college, but some days you’ll need a pick-me-up or you’ll be spending a night in. Personally I recommend How I Met Your Mother, Friends, or The Office.

7. Learn how to take good notes.

If you knew me in high school, you know I already knew how to take good notes before I got here. But seriously, if you don’t know how to take good notes yet you should really get on that because school only gets harder from here.

8. Buy comfortable shoes.

You’re going to walk EVERYWHERE.

9. Use your health app.

All that walking is tracked automatically by your phone! Check how much you walk each day and be surprised that one day you walk 10 miles.

10. Keep your door open.

It’s the easiest way to meet people. Have conversations with the people who walk by and be friendly! You’re living with these people for a whole year so make it worth while.

11. Have a first-aid kit and medicine bag.

It’s inevitable, you’re going to get sick. It’s going to last for about two weeks. Bring some cough drops, DayQuil, NyQuil, and tissues. You’ll thank me later.

12. Invest in a Tempurpedic mattress pad.

The dorm mattresses are not the best, and you’re going to want a good night’s sleep.

13. Bring shoes you don’t mind getting dirty.

If you go out, don’t ruin your shoes. Oh, and don’t wear those shoes to class either.

14. Make flashcards.

They’ll reinforce the vocabulary that you learned in lecture and it’ll help you study as you make them.

15. Decorate!

Make your dorm feel like home, you’re going to be living in it for a while.

16. Make time for visits with your parents.

It’s weird for both you and them to be apart like this, so invite them to come visit and call them a lot.

17. Bring an umbrella.

I don’t know how it works at other schools, but it rains on Tuesdays at UD, so bring an umbrella to class even if it looks sunny. You don’t want to have to trek back to your dorm in the pouring rain.

18. Try new things.

Apply for the position you don’t know much about, sign up for the RSO that you think seems cool, or go to a sorority open house even if you don’t feel like that’s your scene. By getting out of your comfort zone you’ll meet new people and gain beneficial experiences.

19. Act professionally.

It’s time to create your resume and a LinkedIn page. You’re an adult now and you need to prepare for your future.

20. Be smart.

21. Go to class.

Now maybe this one is obvious, but so many people skip class because they’re tired or don’t feel like going. Just go to class. Get out of bed, get dressed, and listen to your lecture and participate in discussion. You or your parents are paying a lot of money to be here, so get up and learn. It’s important.

22. Enjoy the little things.

These years in college will be some of the best of your life, so take in every moment and live a little.

23. Spend some time outside.

Go beyond the drab white walls of your dorm room and take a step outside. Feel the sun on your skin and take in some positivity and enjoy a little quiet time. Through a football with some friends on the green or sit by the fountain and relax.

24. Don’t be afraid to need help.

We’re all learning, we’re all nervous, and although some of us won’t admit it we’re all a little homesick. Everyone at college is going through the same thing: the stress, the good times, the newness of everything. Don’t worry about anyone judging you for asking for help or advice, no good person will say anything about it, they’ll just help you.

25. Treat people how you want to be treated.

Yes, we learned this one back in elementary school, but its more relevant than ever. Everyone deserves decency and respect, everyone deserves to be happy, and everyone deserves to feel amazing about who they are and their choices.

26. Do your homework.

I know that everyone says “homework is optional in college”. Truth is, it is not optional at all. We get graded for it more than we did in high school, and most of it is online through a system that records how many you get right and how many attempts you take. So just do your homework.

27. Give people the benefit of the doubt.

Everyone is from different parts of the country and even the world. Everyone has different backgrounds and were raised differently, so as we all heard a million times from our RA’s and Orientation Leaders, assume good intent. All that means is assume people have the best intentions with what they’re saying, and yes you may correct them but don’t be rude about it. It’s a process. Trust the process.

28. Talk to upperclassmen.

You can learn a lot from your fellow students who are older than you, they know what they’re talking about. Ask them which professors are good and which aren’t, ask for advice on what to do on campus and ask for help if you need it. They’re really nice people, I promise.

29. Watch out for bikes.

No, seriously. Bikes don’t stop for anything here so pay attention and don’t get hit. And be careful crossing the street too, crosswalks are there but it doesn’t mean the cars are going to stop.

30. Breathe.

You’re going to be fine, don’t stress over something so small. It may take time to adjust to the test style and lecture atmosphere of college, but you’ll be fine. If you fail your first quiz or test, just breathe. Study harder for the next one, maybe skip a party or two, and try office hours. Professors and TA’s are always willing to help and you should take that chance if needed. It’s not the end of the world, it was just the first one and you have ample opportunity to make up for it.