9 Things Guys ALWAYS Say When They Learn I'm A Dating Editor

9 Things Guys ALWAYS Say On A First Date When They Learn I'm A Dating And Relationships Editor

"I better be on my best behavior."

3885

Picture this, we're settling into our date, the conversation is flowing, we're ordering drinks, laughing, and then it happens... the job convo.

Him: "So what do you do?"
Me: "I'm a dating and relationships editor."

It happens like clockwork.

Every time I share my job title, the guy I'm on a date with pauses before immediately wondering how it will affect them. Will I talk about them online? Am I there for work purposes? For whatever reason, being on a date with someone who writes about dating and love really seems to throw them for a loop.

If it happened once or twice, I wouldn't even think much of it, but it happens — I kid you not — every single time.

So much so that my immediate follow-up comment before they can even respond has become "I don't write about my personal life, though" to which they laugh and relax a bit (and aside from this very general and anonymous article, I really don't write about my love life). Oh, and this has not changed a bit since quarantine began (it's just virtual now).

When it's actually their turn to comment or ask more about my job, they make a little joke (probably more of a half-joke) or comment about how cool it is. But if they choose the joke route, it's without fail, always to say some version of the following:

1. "What are you gonna write about me?"

Something along the lines of "I'm still trying to figure it out" is a great way to determine whether they can understand sarcasm and/or take a joke.

Spoiler: many cannot.

2. "Is this on or off the record?"

Always off the record. Unless...

3. "Haha, so you're taking notes on everything."

Mental notes, yes. But not for work.

4. "OK, so what advice do you have for me?"

My best advice? If you feel like you need advice on how to get your dating life in order, you should probably figure it out before dating.

5. "So you're a pro at this?"

Short answer: definitely.

6. "Do you write about all your dates?"

Eh. Not all dates make for good stories and that goes for those on and offline. Be a decent human and you won't have to worry either way!

7. "I better be on my best behavior then."

Were you planning to not be on your best behavior? SOS.

Until we can date in person, though, try spicing up virtual date night with these questions to start great conversations or a love language card game.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.