What I Learned From My First Date In Almost 2 Years

Fun fact: first dates are just as scary as they were two years ago!

39

I never thought that I would be dating during a global pandemic, but here I am! It's crazy how some things change, and I'm sure my younger self would be proud (enough) of what I've accomplished these past few years, but last weekend I had a date that I think I would've handled better as a freshman in high school than as the college freshman I am now. Was it a good date? Hell yes. Could it have been better on my end? F*ck yes. So here I am, hoping that you'll learn from my mistakes and maybe, just maybe, you'll be able to act like less of a dumbass.

1. Google the person you are going to meet

Yes, I know internet stalking is creepy, but it's even more creepy to find out that the person you're into has an obsession with clown dolls, so do your homework first, kiddos. It's not like you have to tell your date that you think their grandma's dog is cute, so how will they really know if you snooped? Just please do not be one of those people who stalks their exes! Also, doing a quick background check for a criminal record never hurts anyone, either.

2. It’s okay to show up early, but it is never cool to show up late

I felt bad that I showed up to my date a few minutes late (damn traffic) but I felt even worse when I found out that my date had been waiting in the cold for me outside of the restaurant. If you're early at least you'll get brownie points for good behavior. If you show up more than five minutes late then you better have one hell of an excuse (getting flowers is always a valid reason) or by offering to pay for the whole date. Also, notoriously being late is not a personality trait, so stop thinking that it makes you look cute.

3. Do not expect your date to pay for everything

I'm assuming that you're a grown-ass adult (or at least above the age of 15) which means you most likely have a job. If you don't have a job then that's fine, but you better have enough cash to pay for your meal/movie/whatever cute thing you're out doing. NEVER suggest a date idea that you don't have the money for. I don't care how Instagram-worthy the pictures are because then you will look like an idiot (that's for taking pictures of food on a first date, you weirdo) and a cheapskate!

4. Do not do anything to endanger yourself

Meeting alone in a place that you're unfamiliar with is literally the dumbest thing you could ever do with a stranger (I don't care how long you've been talking to someone- until you meet them in-person, they are still a stranger). Also, even if you meet someone in a public place and in an area that you know, do not leave your food/drink unattended and do not get in a vehicle with them (I did that last weekend and I realized how stupid of a decision it was as soon as I grabbed the car door handle).

5. Don't take yourself too seriously

You're there to have fun, not to apply for a loan. Loosen up a little (but not too much- nobody likes a drunk date) and don't worry about trying to make everything perfect. Perfection is unattainable, just like getting to make out with Tom Holland (unless you're Zendaya), so get over yourself and focus on getting to know your date. Hell, I can't even remember what my date was wearing after we spent hours together so that should tell you just how memorable your outfit is going to be.

6. It is okay if you have not been on a date in a while

Dating (contrary to popular belief) is not a necessity, so don't start going out if you're not ready to. Trust me, things can only end badly if you force yourself to go out. Take your time and start dating when you feel comfortable, not when somebody else tells you that should be. Whether you're a seasoned dater or new to the world of dating dates will always be nerve-wracking. Beginning a new chapter with someone (even if that chapter only lasts 15 minutes) will always seem scary, and it's okay if you need to take time for yourself before getting into dating.

All in all, here are six things you should keep in mind while going on a date.