After nine hours, the fire at the Notre-Dame Cathedral has been extinguished on Tuesday, April 16.

The Notre-Dame Cathedral was built in 1163, during the reign of King Louis VII. The Cathedral was finished in 1345, according to The New York Times.

On Monday evening a fire struck at the 850-year-old Notre-Dame Cathedral. The cause of the fire is unknown. Investigators have ruled the fire to be an accident.

This is one of the most damaging disasters the Cathedral has faced. The last devastating disaster happened during the French Revolution.

The attic beams were each made of a single tree. Over time the attic got dry and accumulated dust making the area more flammable. Within just an hour the fire had spread to the wooden attic the fire had burned through most of the wooden structure, according to The New York Times.

The Cathedral suffered major damage. There is a gaping hole in the vaulted ceiling of the Cathedral, as well as the famous 300-foot spire, had fallen during the fire, but the towers were saved.

It took 400 firefighters to extinguish the fire at the Cathedral. Two policemen and one firefighter have been injured, but no deaths, according to CNN.

President of the French Republic Emmanuel Macron told the people of France that the Notre-Dame Cathedral will be rebuilt and a national donation scheme that it'll go beyond the border of France.

Macron said it "reminds us that our story never ends. And that we will always have challenges to overcome. What we believe to be indestructible can also be touched," according to Fox News.