Your Finsta May Affect Your Self-Confidence

Rinsta vs Finsta culture is... strange to say the least.

451
Via Unsplash

Studying self-esteem has become a major topic recently as concerns about mental health (especially among youth) Have come to the front of the conversation in media. What is being attributed to a generational all-time low of self-esteem is a rise of technology and social media within millennials and Gen Z.

The theory is that by looking at only the positive snippets of ones lives that they choose to reflect online, a view would become self-conscious of their own appearance, achievements, and participation in events. A craze of YouTube, vloggers, and social media influencers has also given faces for those with this low confidence to glamorize and idolize.

Suddenly, a life of pure beauty, happiness, radiance, and excitement becomes perceived by the masses as a standard norm. Those lacking these characteristics often reflect introvertedly and respond with a feeling of inadequacy.

However, a caveat may soon be added to this theory… and that is “finsta” culture. Instagram, as a major platform for models and brand representation, has been heeded as one of the largest breeding grounds for insecurities among teens. This platform, though, seems to have an undercover trend that once revealed and studied may say a lot about mental health, especially among adolescents.

“Finstagram” means fake Instagram. These accounts are often referred to as “spam” accounts or simply “finstas” and are typically kept private so that the account owner can choose who can view their content and follow them.

Oftentimes these accounts hold a few purposes. One is for people to post things that they wouldn’t necessarily want publicize to the rest of the world (like employers or relatives). Another reason is to allow users to spam a feed without causing disruption to the “aesthetic” or look of their main account and thus causing them to lose followers. Finally, they are often used as a tool for venting.

Many Finsta users take to posting thoughts of depression, suicide, and self-harm. However, these threats are often vague and unreported to authorities or those who can aid the individual. In addition, it is difficult for followers to accurately assess the severity of the individual in question because Finsta is often meant to be taken as a joke. With a significant amount of users making suicide jokes, distinguishing truth from sarcasm is almost impossible.

A war of who can be the most depressed seems to pan out. Some people take to copying others' pain by expressing their own. In some ways, a competition of who is the biggest victim can lead to a downward spiral of self-inflicted torture. While I don’t mean to negate the experiences of anyone, it is possible that much (not all) of what is posted on Finsta is oversimplified and amplified to invoke a feeling in a person’s followers.

Due to the previous and continued mimicking of others on Instagram by trying to replicate an appearance of positivity, beauty, and happiness on Rinsta, it is possible that the same thing may be occurring on Finsta, but instead with negativity and sadness. In an effort to keep up with the trend, users mimic what they see in their feed, which, on Finsta, is often negative, to fit in with peers that they follow. This creates a black hole of never-ending spiraling depression.

Another outlook, one that I find myself hoping to favor, about Finsta culture is that it can do more good than harm. Users can utilize the platform to vent and effectively talk about their issues. Those who they allow to follow them would be significant people in their life that care for them. By expressing their negative and harmful thoughts, they open a door for dialogue which allows their friends to discuss and help them. Mediation and talking is often key to recovery.

Plus, the use of Finsta can make people feel less alone. By having access to the deep insight of people they follow, it can show them that people in their life are also affected by and struggle with body insecurities, financial problems, et cetera. This helps to humanize the people they follow and thus reduce the need to strive for perfection.

While I don’t have the answers for how this will affect our culture or mental health, I can say that it is an interesting phenomenon and something to watch moving forward. Our online appearance is shaping our reality, which is something that may be damaging to many younger people, especially teens. We’ll have to wait and see how Finsta culture affects us moving forward.

Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255