Finding Yourself Through Fashion

Finding Yourself Through Fashion

Your personal style (or lack there of)
25

Earlier this year, while trying to find an outfit for some event or another, my roommate pointed out that I had no personal style. I do not remember her exact words, but it was something along the lines of "you wear all different kinds of clothing. Like you don't have your own definite style." As I spun around to defend my closet, I noticed how it changed abruptly from a pair of leather pants to a brightly printed sundress to a pair of ripped jeans to a red, white and blue sweatshirt.

I was devastated, how could someone who loved fashion and shopping and being on trend be as personally un-styled as I was. I resolved to fix this problem by going through my wardrobe, and donating anything that did not adhere to a certain style. Except for when I tried to do this, I could not stick with a certain look. Did I want to look boho-chic in flow tops and short shorts and faux fur vests? Did I want to look edgy in my Timberlands and camouflage tee shirt? But how about classy with over the knee boots and a nice jacket? Or preppy with a nice skirt and some sweet colors? It was literally impossible for me to decide how I wanted to present myself.

This initially stressed me out even more as I felt I was facing an identity crisis. However, I realized that maybe this was not something to be worried about. Perhaps the fact that I could not settle on one style of clothing did not mean that I did not know who I was but rather, that I knew that I could not be contained to one look.

Maybe I liked fashion and knew myself well enough to realize that I did not want to turn down a good sweater or a nice pair of shoes or an opportunity to present myself in a new way by only dressing in one fashion realm. I realized that not having it all figured out and organized was maybe not a sign of a lack of guidance but rather of growth.

I am only 19 years old and I have an entire world of inspiration to look at. Limiting myself to one style would be a disservice to my passion and my personal growth.