5 Tips To Nail Your Ideal Career

5 Tips To Nail Your Ideal Career

As a college student, you can find jobs NOW that will help you in the future.

30
5 Tips To Nail Your Ideal Career
Graduateland

College is a pivotal time in a person's life. What you do now will affect the rest of your life in a variety of ways. A large chunk of your time at college should be dedicated to building up your skill-set and seeking out valuable experiences so you can land that awesome job after you graduate. "Make sure to do lots of internships," my dad would say. He was right, too. The connections you make and the skills you acquire through internships are invaluable.

Are internships are the only way to get ahead in today's market saturated with entry-level job applicants? The simple answer is no. You don't have to commit a whole summer or semester to an internship and put the rest of your life on hold. There is a variety of part-time jobs and volunteer opportunities that contribute just as much to your resume as an internship. You just have to know where to look.

Ummm...what positions are you talking about?

Of course, there is nothing wrong with working a retail or food-service position. The accessibility and practicality of those jobs have their own value, but perhaps you're looking to shift gears a bit. Perhaps you're ready to dip your toes into something related to your major or you're interested in just gaining specific experiences like working in an office or building a portfolio. So, where do you start?

1. Check for jobs on campus

This is my primary suggestion as there are many valuable perks to working for your university. More often than not, there is a job on campus that is directly related to your field of study, perhaps even in the department of your field of study. These positions often pay well, too. My first campus position as an IT consultant for the University of Minnesota in Duluth paid $10/hour and my current campus position pays $11.50/hour, which rivals many retail and food service positions. Furthermore, employers for these positions are most likely staff and faculty on campus who know and understand that you are a student, so they are more than willing to work around your class schedule. The connections you make working for your college can also help you get future positions on- and off-campus, which will only propel you forward on your journey.

Most colleges and universities have websites dedicated to hiring for positions on campus. Sometimes, there are applications specifically for students. The University of Minnesota has GoldPass, which students can use to connect with employers both on- and off-campus. Check with your school or a career adviser to see what services are offered for connecting students with employers.

2. Attend Career Fairs on Campus

This is a great way to get connected with employers who are looking for students just like you. In this scenario, they know exactly who they are hiring. It is almost guaranteed to be a good experience if you get one of these internships or entry-level positions. Beware of the competition, though. Many students will end up applying for the same position as you, so be confident and ready to prove your unique worth to the company representatives at these fairs. Stand out and be memorable!

Check with your college to see if there are upcoming dates for these career fairs. Make sure to find out whether or not you'll have to register ahead of time so that you'll be ready. Have a portfolio and resume ready and, of course, don't forget to look dapper!

3. Give it a Google

Yes, it is as simple as that. Google searching for positions (if done correctly) can have invaluable results. Of course, you miss opportunities and positions that aren't advertised online, but the Internet and job sites are effective ways for employers to connect with applicants. It's likely you'll run into a plethora of jobs for which you will want to apply (what a shame, right?). You'll just have to sift through them and pick out the positions that would benefit you the most. Be careful of job listings that don't mention pay. Unless you're okay with an unpaid position or internship, this can save you a lot of time in the long run if you're careful to note these details as you search.

To search effectively, type in your field of interest, the type of job you're looking for and your location. For example, you could give "computer science student part-time jobs in Minneapolis" a whirl. Adding "student" in your search really narrows the results to positions that are looking for eager part-time students or recent graduates. In this case, being inexperienced can actually help you get the job if you demonstrate your eagerness to develop your skill-set. Websites like Indeed are also useful for finding positions, but have high traffic and thus, high competition.

4. Volunteer

Volunteering, though unpaid, should not be underestimated when considering resume-building. Employers look for a willingness to forgo a paycheck to gain experience, gain knowledge and build skills. It's also beneficial to volunteer for events that act as gathering spaces for professionals within your field of interest. This will provide a prime opportunity to connect with some of the most successful individuals in that particular discipline.

There are many many volunteer opportunities available. As a college student, you'll probably run into advertisements for events on campus such as lectures, seminars, presentations, fundraisers, demonstrations, etc. Contact the organizers and see if you'd be able to help out. You could also reach out to major-related clubs and organizations on campus that host events and/or volunteer activities.

5. Be Aggressive

This is a tactic for the ambitious folk who know exactly where they want to be and what they want to extract from the experiences they seek. Perhaps you sometimes sit in your dorm or apartment and think about how awesome it would be to intern for Brain Traffic's communication department, but you haven't run into any job listings that fit that description. Here's a thought. Have you ever considered just asking your dream company if they have any openings? This can be beneficial in so many ways. You find out whether or not this internship exists or not while demonstrating your initiative to potential employers. If all else fails, you may be directed towards a similar department in the company or maybe a partner company that has a desirable opening for you.

This can be as easy as finding a general costumer service e-mail address for the company on their main website and explaining your intentions. Alternatively, you could call. This is a good way to ask, but just make sure to leave your name and contact information so they can respond!

Good luck!

Now that you know where to start in looking for a position that can benefit your skill-set, the key is to be brave and resourceful. Don't be afraid to reach out and ask about positions that would work for you as a student who is excited to learn more. Eagerness to learn is a valuable asset in the eyes of a potential employer, so make sure to stress your interest in their positions as much as possible. I wish you luck on your journey!