You Will Find Your People In College

To The Girl Who's Worried About Finding Her People In College, You Will

Finding college friendships can be intimidating, but it's so worth it.

72
Caroline Boze

Having great friends in your life makes living so much better. All my friendships have always been in my top priorities. Ever since I was in middle school, I was surrounded by a great group of girlfriends, and I have had my best friend since I was two. I have always felt so lucky to have such a great group of friends to rely on and to have fun with. Having the same group of friends for so long has taught me so much about what real friendships are. Knowing that I can rely on them no matter where I am or what's going on is so amazing.

When I went to college three years ago, I was terrified to go to a new place and have to start over and find new friends.

My very best friend was only going to be 30 minutes away, but I was still so nervous to find my group. I was so worried that I wouldn't find another group of friends as amazing as my girlfriends back at home. Luckily, I was fortunate enough to find those people, my people. It's so comforting to have people I view as my family after only three years of knowing them. There is something about college friendships that gives you such a sense of comfort in such a short amount of time. Something about finding new friends, for me, made me realize that I have been surrounding myself with the right kinds of people all along. Meeting people that are so similar to my friends from high school is proof that I have found the people I should be with. It's a reassurance that everything will be OK in this new environment.

It's neat to meet these new people and find that some people are almost exactly like you, or some that are so different from you.

There are so many different types of people, yet so many people who are so relatable, and I think that's what makes finding new friends so fun. Having these two worlds combine is so fun, and sharing stories with each of the different friend groups has made each friendship closer.

Knowing that your two best friends can also be friends is like finding two four-leaf clovers. I've been lucky enough to be able to share my college experience with my old friends and with my new friends. Two of my hometown friends also go to school with me, so that definitely eases my mind and helps me feel more at home at school. Knowing that you have a little piece of home right there with you at school makes it more fun anyway.

It has always been hard for me to leave my home at the end of summer and to leave my friends, but knowing that I have just as great of friendships at school makes leaving easier.

Being able to feel like me at my home and away from home is such an incredible feeling. Being undeniably yourself has always been something I am very passionate about. Finding people who can help you and support you be you are a true gift. Pay attention to how you feel after you're with someone new, and that is how you know you've found those people.