Finding A Job In The Summer Is Quite An Experience

Hey girl, you go, go make that money!
75

One of the most common struggles of college students during the summer is what to do with the copious amount of free time we have. Especially if your upcoming classes do not require you to do any previous work during the summer, like mine (not to brag).

Relaxing at home, listening to podcasts, catching up on TV, and working on your manuscript is fun and all, but after a while, it gets boring, and I feel like I'm wasting my life. Sure, I do have plans for the summer, I'm not a complete shut-in, but I can't do something exciting every day.

The other major problem I have during the summer is trying to find a solid way of making money. Last year, I just did extra chores and sold my old stuff on eBay. However, neither pay that much and the latter is not always reliable. So, this summer, I am taking the standard approach and trying to find a job in the area.

However, this is not as easy as it sounds.

I do not have much experience with work, because I went to a private high school that forced me to spend at least nine hours there each day and find enough time to complete four hours of homework. I also took college courses the summers before my senior year in high school and freshman and sophomore years of college that lasted too long for potential employers. The last time I had a paying job was when I worked as a lifeguard the summer before my junior year of high school, and I did not enjoy it.

This is really the first time I've had to put myself out there, to really create my resume, and to experience one of life's painful things: rejection.

I have been on the hunt for nearly any place that will hire an aspiring journalist who is easygoing, creative, friendly, and has a job opening that is not dangerous. Oh, and is in Connecticut, because I am residing there.

My first step to finding a job was making an account on Indeed, which was like registering to take the SATs or ACTs. From now on, your email just gets flooded with job ideas that you've never even heard of. However, these ideas do not guarantee employment.

Some of these jobs will allow you to apply on Indeed. However, others, and by others, I mean most of them, require you to fill out an application on their website. This usually means you have to make an account for their website. That leads to even more emails, without even knowing if they've seen your application and are considering you. And finally, there's that heartbreaking message of, say it with me people in the back, rejection!

One of the things I have struggled with in finding a job is wondering what happens if I get hired somewhere and then asked to interview somewhere else. Like, what do I say to that? But, I know I'm getting ahead of myself and am extremely lucky if at least one place sees potential in me. I sound like I'm talking about a guy here, lol.

Anyone else experiencing the struggle of looking for a summer job? Tell me about it on Facebook!