6 Things That Started Happening Once I Stopped Searching For My Worth From People

God formed us in His very image. He has a beautiful plan for each and every one of our lives, or He wouldn't have bothered making us. Do not let the enemy steal that notion from you today.

190
Danielle Axelrod

Worth. Value. Identity. These are words that we strive to understand, to gain throughout our lives. It begins at such a young age, and honestly, never really has an endpoint.

Where do we start our quest to find such worth? There are various outlets that our hearts and bodies turn to. People, the media, like on Instagram, job status, etc. The list could go on and on. Yet, the one place we never think to run is the one place where we can find our treasure. Jesus. Our worth, our value, our entire identity is found in Jesus. We just have to choose to believe it.

The enemy comes to steal, kill and destroy. He wants to steal our worth from us, making us feel like we will never measure up, no matter how hard we try. He would just love to kill any value that resides within us, making us feel like we have nothing to offer this world. He wants to destroy our identity, crushing us, leaving us in broken bits and pieces. And, we let him.

We let him come in and take what Jesus so freely gave us from the beginning.

"But I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit..." John 15:16

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." Jeremiah 1:5

Although it is an uphill battle, I've decided to seek my worth from above, not from this earth. Here is what has happened to me so far:

1. I smile a whole lot more.

Now, those of you who know me, know that I smiled a whole lot beforehand too. But there's a difference between a forced smile and a genuine smile. This smile is genuine. It's real. It comes from tangible happiness that resides in my heart each and every morning.

2. I care less about what people think.

I have often worried what people thought of my appearance, my actions, my choices, my this, my that. No longer, my friends. And I have to tell you, it's truly freeing. It feels AMAZING. I'm quirky, spunky, and a tad strange. But Jesus loves me and created me that way- so I'll embrace it fully for what it is!

3. I can focus on God's plan (no pun intended, Drake), not mine.

God has already mapped out the plans for our lives. How cool is that??! We don't have to worry, we don't have to be anxious. He has a perfect plan ready to unfold- if only we will focus on Him, and not ourselves.

4. My soul feels at peace.

I don't have to fret over my appearance. Or what others will think. Or how many likes I got on my new selfie. You know why, y'all? Because none of it matters, really. If I am doing what is right in my Father's eyes, then I am at peace. And even when I mess up, I know He still loves me and His plans for my life are not ruined. I can rest assure in that, and that has made my anxiety subside in a whole new and refreshing way.

5. I can devote more time to other people.

Now that I'm not concerned about finding my value through other people, I can focus more on time with friends, families, or even new people. I can devote my time to making sure I enjoy my moments with them, rather than trying to impress them or worrying about what they might think.

6. I have found a new confidence that never existed before.

I'm not saying I'm in love with myself, or I've magically come to think of myself as this beautiful specimen- but rather I am confident in who Christ says I am. He chose me, He made me in His image, and He has a plan for me- no one can deny that from me. With that, I can boldly walk through this life knowing full well that I have value- even if no one on this earth thinks so.

This didn't happen overnight, and I certainly have areas to improve on- but I know one thing for sure: I'm glad I'm not where I used to be. My worth does not come from you. Or him, or her, or them. It comes from above, and I will rest assure in that until the day I meet my Maker. You should, too. And watch that simple change do incredible things in your life.