9 Finals Tips For Miami University Students

You got this!

163

As finals are approaching, we all start to get more stressed as we realize the window to fix our GPAs is slowly closing. Do you find yourself in this general population of students who are stressed out of their minds this time of year? Here are some tips for finals for all of my fellow Miami students!

1. Rub the turtle heads before your exam.

Let me tell you that this works for me each and every time. My friend suggested this to me before a big chemistry exam last semester, and ever since then, I have rubbed the turtle heads before every exam. It really does bring good luck!

2. Get those study rooms booked in King, BEST, Armstrong, or wherever else you like to study.

These study rooms go fast! If you get the chance to snag one, you are one of the lucky ones! However, if you can't get a study room, don't worry! There are plenty of spots in the libraries that don't need a reservation as well as places in Armstrong that are super nice study spots!

3. Don't compromise your sleep.

This one can be extra hard during finals week. It is so tempting to pull all-nighters during finals week in order to cram all that knowledge into your brain. But don't do it. Come the exam, you will be so tired that you literally won't remember anything you spent the whole night studying. Get some rest because that is the best thing you can do for yourself!

4. Hit up the MacCracken Market for all your study snack needs.

It's important to eat while you're studying for finals, of course! Getting hungry past 8:00 when the dining halls close? Go to the MacCracken Market! They have anything you could possibly want! From cereal to pre-prepared meals, they have everything!

5. Make a trip to the Rec if you find yourself getting too stressed out!

Sometimes working out is the best thing you can do to de-stress (even though we may not like admitting it). If you find yourself completely overwhelmed, make a trip over to the Rec and let go of all the stresses of finals week! You'll feel healthier after, and it's a good study break.

6. Make time for yourself.

It may be important to study for your finals and work on all those papers and projects, but it's also important to make time for yourself and know what your needs are. If this means taking a small power nap, do it! If it means taking a break to do something quick and fun with your friends, do that!

7. Drink water and take your vitamins.

It can be really easy to get sick during finals week with the lack of sleep and all the infections going around in the winter. Be sure to get enough sleep, drink water, and take your vitamins. The worst thing is being sick during finals week (Trust me, I was sick during finals last semester, and it was my own little hell.).

8. Make a playlist!

It's always good to have your own playlist for finals week! Pick all the tunes that will pump you up to study and ace those exams and play it on repeat. Nothing like a good song to get you going on that walk from your dorm to King!

9. Go to office hours.

This is honestly one of the most important ones I can think of. Going into office hours shows your professor that you care and want to work to succeed in the class. It doesn't hurt to go in a little extra at the end of the year so that they see your face and (maybe even) bump up your grade at the end of the semester if you're on the edge!

Stay strong this finals season and know that one exam and your GPA don't define you! Don't give up now, though, because you are so close to winter break (every college student's favorite time of the year). You got this!