Films To Look Forward To In The New Year Of 2020: Part 2

No film goes unturned this year...

92
https://theplaylist.net/100-most-anticipated-films-2020-20191203/3/
The Playlist

The past decade for film (2010-2019) saw many audiences introduced to characters both new and old through multiple franchises.

As Hollywood continues to put franchises at the forefront, sequels and spin-offs to films that may have never happened in the previous ten years are now becoming a reality. The new year, as well as the new decade, will only bring new creative visionaries to the table, which are needed to keep things fresh heading into the next era.

5. "The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It"

After an overabundance of spin-offs and side missions, the main foundation that kicked off the "Conjuring" franchise, the Warrens, are back as main players. In this third entry in "The Conjuring" series, famous paranormal investigators Ed (Patrick Wilson) and Lorraine (Vera Farmiga) are upgrading from haunted houses to another real-life case, yet this time involving the courts.

Suspect Arne Cheyenne Johnson (played by Ruairi O' Connor) is committed for murder for allegedly killing his landlord but pulls the demonic possession card as a defense to avoid jail time. Johnson would eventually become known as the 1st murder defendant in U.S. history to plead not guilty through demonic possession.

James Wan, the director of the first two "Conjuring" films, is not returning beyond a producer capacity, handing the directing reigns over to Michael Chaves (who helmed "Conjuring" spin-off "The Curse of La Llorona"). "The Devil Made Me Do It" does not have a conventional horror movie premise, which is why it had to be on the list.

In a time where most franchises begin to jump the shark with the sequels, it would be nice to have a consistently well-made trilogy of horror films.

4. "Tenet"

Christopher Nolan and time travel... what's not to like?

Christopher Nolan's latest action blockbuster, "Tenet," will star relative newcomer John David Washington ("Blackkklansman") as an agent sent to avert a massive world war with the help of time travel. As with Nolan's previous projects, much of the story is being kept under wraps and will likely remain that way until the film releases in July. Though it can become very complicated for audiences very fast, time travel can be a fun tool for storytelling when it isn't overdone.

The cast Nolan has assembled for "Tenet" is full of talent from future Batman Robert Pattinson, previous Alfred Michael Caine, Elizabeth Debicki, Kenneth Branagh, Martin Donovan, and Aaron Taylor Johnson starring alongside Washington.

The historical war venture, "Dunkirk," was a critical and financial success, but Christopher Nolan truly belongs in the epic blockbuster arena.

3. "The King's Man"

Director Matthew Vaughn ("Kick-Ass", "X-Men: First Class") expertly made the Kingsman agency one of the most effective spy agencies in film history, but how did the premiere British spy agency start out?

"The King's Man" will take the series back to the early days to the origin of the Kingsman organization without most of the high tech bells and whistles that the previous films have displayed. From the looks of the first few trailers, this prequel adventure looks to be slightly more serious and less whimsical in tone than the previous two "Kingsman" films.

Less over-the-top Kingsman, which makes sense for the early 1900s time period.

Franchise staples Taron Edgerton and Colin Firth will be missed, but it will be exciting to see how the Kingsman came to be. I mean, when you have Ralph Fiennes, Gemma Arterton, Djimon Hounsou, Rhys Ifnas, Daniel Bruhl, and Aaron Taylor Johnson in the same movie, that's hard to pass up.

2. "Candyman"

Candyman, Candyman, Candyman, Candyman, Candyman. The cult horror classic that kept a whole generation of children away from bathroom mirrors returns with a bang later this year.

Ignoring the various sequels and acting as a spiritual successor to the 1992 original, 2020's "Candyman" will center around a new cast of characters led by Yahya-Abdul-Mateen II ("Aquaman") and Teyonah Parris ("Chi-Raq") in a now gentrified Chicago while Tony Todd will reportedly be reprising the titular role of the terrifying urban legend Daniel Robitaille a.k.a. Candyman once again.

The property is in pretty safe hands. Modern horror pioneer Jordan Peele ("Get Out", "Us" ) will be overseeing the new film directed by Nia DaCosta through Peele's production company, Monkeypaw Productions. Similar to the original "Candyman", expect some social commentary interspersed between all of the film's horror elements.

1. "Wonder Woman 1984"

2017's "Wonder Woman" would go on to become one of the biggest superhero movies of the past decade let alone the year, so a sequel was inevitable. "Wonder Woman 1984" finds the Amazonian superhero, Diana Prince (Gal Gadot), in pop culture's favorite decade to mine, the 1980s, coming to blows with archaeologist Barbara Minnerva, aka Cheetah (Kristen Wiig) and famous DC Comics business tycoon, Maxwell Lord (Pedro Pascal).

Everyone's favorite Mandalorian Pascal seems to be evoking a bit of classic Donald Trump for his role as Lord. It will be interesting to see how a powerful yet human threat like Maxwell Lord poses a threat to the extremely powerful Diana. Even more interesting is Chris Pine's return as Diana's lover from World War I, Steve Trevor, who seemingly went out with a heroic sacrifice in the previous film, which had many, including myself, cautious.

But director Patty Jenkins has more than earned the trust of the audience following the success of the first film. What will ultimately make or break "Wonder Woman 1984" is the inclusion of Wonder Woman's invisible jet.

2020 ushers in a new decade of cinema that is looking mighty full of potential. Filmmakers will continue to push the envelope of storytelling for audiences. Many of the films are either completely untested with audiences or has not had a new entry in years. Each film different and unique in their storytelling, casting, themes, and overall vision.

The introduction to the new decade for film is looking very promising.