Can Poetry Actually Be Filmed?

Can Poetry Actually Be Filmed?

Robert Frost's poem "Mending Wall" describes two New England neighbors, in which one farmer asks his neighbor to rebuild the stone wall separating their two properties.
104

Poetry has transcended through time and space for centuries and has continued to affect readers worldwide. From Shakespeare's sonnets to Poe's horrors, writers have time and time again break the barriers of modern language and phonics. Nowadays, most popular modern poetry is of spoken word and is performed in cafes and on stages across the country.

Sometimes these poems are so real that they're incredibly believable. So, what would happen if poems were, well... filmed? I'll give an example.

Robert Frost's poem "Mending Wall" describes two New England neighbors, in which one farmer asks his neighbor to rebuild the stone wall separating their two properties. What seems to be a simple task turns into something much more meaningful and complex, making this particular poem the most analyzed of Frost's literature. Here is an excerpt:

"I let my neighbor know beyond the hill;

And on a day we meet to walk the line

And set the wall between us once again.

We keep the wall between us as we go.

To each the boulders that have fallen to each.

And some are loaves and some so nearly balls

We have to use a spell to make them balance:

"Stay where you are until our backs are turned!"

We wear our fingers rough with handling them.

Oh, just another kind of out-door game,

One on a side. It comes to little more:

There where it is we do not need the wall:"

With the wall about to be prepared, filming it might go along the lines of this:

In filming Robert Frost’s poem, It would most likely take place in a Deciduous Forest in the Northeast (Upstate New York, Northern Massachusetts, Vermont, Maine etc.). In terms of season, spring has just begun and the snow is slowly melting but still present. The wall could be around 7-10 feet considering only two people work on it.

The two characters names are unknown, but they both seem to be fairly elder men. For the sake of the film, they’ll be named Michael and Liam. Michael will be the man questioning the wall, while Liam will be the one responsible for building the wall.

The gap created by a mysterious entity could be anything, since Frost did not specify who broke down the wall. An apparition of a black bear who is seeking vengeance from its hunting grounds being destroyed by the wall can fit well in this case. Background music for this film will be a little eerie.

Most of what had happened in ‘Mending Wall’ is left unknown, so eerie music only makes sense.

Seeing poetry in another form of art is what makes this type of literature so spectacular to read and a sight to behold. To read the rest of Mending Wall, click here.