Why Film Is My Emotional Escape

Film As Emotional Therapy

Going to the movies is what many people do to have fun, but for me it is a way to relax and put my worries and fears away for a brief moment.

9
Film As Emotional Therapy

People have various ways to deal with their various anxieties and struggles. Some people go to spas to try and relieve some of their pressures, both mental and physical. Others like to take up hobbies such as bicycling, gaming, swimming, yoga, running, and/or collecting. As you have no doubt guessed by now my form of personal therapy is going to see movies on the big screen.

One of the aspects I love most about it is the isolation. You enter a dark room that has people in it, of course, but they are made to remain quiet while the film plays and the only sound you should hear are the ones coming from the film itself. Relaxing in a dark room while a film plays in front of me with little human interaction is just what I need after a long day at work doing nothing but interacting with other people.

Isolation is the key to films being relaxing for me. Sure, if I want to have a good time with friends we typically watch a movie together. We eat snacks and discuss the film in both somewhat insightful and hilarious ways. However, if I'm looking for pure relaxation and to get away from the outside world for a few minutes, I typically go by myself and remain focused on the story and characters in front of me.

It feels odd to say, but the reason I go to see films in the theater to relax rather than just watching them alone at home is the presence of other people. I know that sounds weird after saying I do this to get away from people, but let me explain. While I do enjoy isolation as a form of relaxation, having no people present at all feels too isolating to me and makes me feel a little lonely. Seeing films in theaters strikes the perfect balance for me, where I still have the presence of people with very little personal interaction.

You may be wondering why most of my most relaxing scenarios involve dealing with as little human contact as possible. Anyone who works in the service industry already knows the answer to that, but for those who don't know constantly dealing with various people at a rapid pace can be extremely emotionally draining. You deal with good people and bad, but keeping up with all of them can be exhausting.

Being ordered around by several people all at once can get annoying as well. You have to proved good service to multiple people and if you prioritize one person over the other the other gets mad at you. Trying to please everyone begins to feel impossible and you just try to do your best not to get yelled at. You also have to deal with picking up after them and dealing with whatever problems they bring up to you. After dealing with all of that almost every day, you bet my idea of relaxation is siting in a dark room and interacting with other people as little as possible.