Filibuster Or No Filibuster, Do Your Damn Job

Why is this country reactive and not proactive? Whether it is the economy, pandemic, or mass shootings, we are a nation of wait and seers. Some might say that is human nature, I disagree. As a parent and a grandparent, there is and was nothing in my life that I did not try and stop or prevent for the safety of my loved ones. Yet, our government does not look at the safety issues, and to be honest, I don't know what some of these men and women elected to service the American people think anymore.

The topic of the filibuster that began during the election cycle is getting a lot of media attention these days. According to the Senate website -- which has its own glossary -- a filibuster is this: "Informal term for any attempt to block or delay Senate action on a bill or other matter by debating it at length, by offering numerous procedural motions, or by any other delaying or obstructive actions." In a nutshell, ending the filibuster is allowing the senate to pass by a simple majority, and superseding the three-fifth or sixty votes in this non-bipartisan senate. This would push bills through the senate without the votes allowing the Vice President to make the deciding vote.

What seems to be stated by most pundits that believe the filibuster is antiquated and comes from the "Jim Crow Era," is not entirely true. It is not in the constitution; it is an adopted practice that goes back to 1806. It was, however, weaponized in the mid-1900s and is considered a common practice now instead of an option when all else fails.

So here we are again, paying the price of innocent lives. There is no excuse for these past two mass shootings that could have been prevented with simple actions like background checks, waiting periods, and a ban on automatic assault rifles. Will this country open its businesses, schools, theaters, and malls only to have them closed due to preventable mass shootings? Seems eighty-five percent of Americans want to put these preventive measures in place, the politicians are not listening.

Yes, the mental state of many of us during the year-long pandemic has pushed us too far at times. And no, we can't be certain that our neighbor does not hold a grudge because of our loud music, early morning routines, or late-night video chats with friends and a glass of wine or three. Most employers have made it a habit to check in on their work from home staff, offer assistance and encouragement to find out-lets to calm our frayed nerves.

However, there is a growing number of unemployed citizens dealing with losses that weighing heavily on their hearts and minds. Our president can only offer prayer and some understanding because he can't change what "the other guy" did to this nation for the past four years overnight. President Biden could issue executive orders as the past two administrations did, but why?

We are all responsible adults, the finger-pointing and what-about isms have to come to an end. This is the time to make the laws, time to show the world we are The United States, united in our mission to all the citizens for a safe and secure life. We want our government to work collectively to appease and make secure our futures. Pay attention to your representatives, remember what he or she did or did not due come election day.