The Raw Truth About Depression.

The Raw Truth About Depression.

A message from a small town in the midst of tragedy.

99
The Raw Truth About Depression.
Harvard

For the people who are suffering in silence, to the people who are trying to be a friend to those battling depression, and to those who are suffering a loss to this disease: This is for you.

Depression is a severe illness that needs to be addressed. I say illness, because that is what it is. It is not a fleeting feeling, it is not a synonym for being upset or sad. It comes in many disguises, and people handle it in different ways. It is often the people who laugh the loudest or smile the brightest. I often think that they spend their lives making others laugh because they subconsciously know what it's like to go a day without wanting to even smile. They know what it's like to have your heart at constant war with your mind. It is a relentless battle and it is all consuming. It doesn't rest, it doesn't let up. Too many people, especially young people, are taking their own lives after having fought this disease, and it's time that someone takes a stand in a humble attempt to stop these tragedies from happening. Suicide leaves your loved ones, friends, and your community consumed in an avalanche of grief, and that is an understatement. There are so many indescribable emotions that arise simultaneously, with one question that will always remain unanswered:

Why?

When someone loses their battle to depression and feels that their only escape from the pain is to take their own life, a piece of everyone they knew will go with them. It is horrific, it is devastating, it is earth shattering, and it is confusing. It leaves everyone in a state of disbelief, asking how that soul didn't know how deeply loved they really were. Hearts will physically ache, just as that person's did every day. There are so many terrifying aspects to depression, and suicide, but I think the scariest part of it all is that it's always the people who seem the happiest. So many people suffer in silence, and so many communities are silent bystanders due to a lack of understanding. Towns are being struck by tragedy after tragedy, and I for one can no longer stand by without trying to send this heartfelt message out to those who need it most.

You are loved. You are so loved. If we were to wake up tomorrow to a world that you were no longer living in, we would be devastated. Your parents, siblings, friends, grandparents, teachers, and community will weep endlessly for you. You are irreplaceable, you have so much life ahead of you. I mean that. Let that resonate, as cliche as it may be. Think about your wedding day, holding your newborn baby some day, your college graduation, or meeting the love of your life. Think of everything that hasn't happened yet, but is waiting for you. Think of all of the blessings that are already in your life. Suicide is permanent. You can't come back. You can't take it back. Please. Don't suffer in silence. Tell someone, anyone. Someone is always waiting for you to come home. You are needed here on Earth. Your smile is needed, your laugh, and your ability to make people laugh is cherished. You matter. I cannot stress that enough. Your presence matters to more people than you can even fathom.

I can't pretend to imagine the pain you feel. My heart aches for every night you have lied awake battling your racing mind unable to find relief. I can't understand why you don't feel how loved you are, and I know you can't either. In some ways, not that it is a cause, we become complacent with the people in our lives. We take people for granted, because you never even dream of waking up to a world that your friend/ loved one is no longer on. In light of recent tragedies, we need to realize that none of us are invincible. Each day isn't guaranteed, and every day spent with someone you care about is special. We need to realize how fragile life really is. No one is at fault, but I for one so desperately wish to find the words to reach anyone fighting this fight. No one person is strong enough to overcome depression alone. With that in mind, while we might not have the words to reach them, we have the love as a motivation to stand with them. We can fight for them, and fight with them. No one needs to suffer in silence. We all need to take a stand and make ourselves available to all those who need someone just to hear them out. We are never struck with the severity of depression until it is too late. To anyone who is in need of a sign to push through, let these words be a start. I promise to be here to listen no matter how dark the thoughts or reality of the matter is. I can't imagine the hell you go through every single day, but I can promise to listen to every feeling you can express to me. I promise to help you to the best of my ability. Suicide is 100 percent preventable. We all need to come to come together to fight this fight.

Crisis is always available 1-855-896-2333
#SuicideAwareness