Fighting Sickness In College, As Told By Things Your Mom Probably Says To you

Wow mom was right

175
Photo by Vladislav Muslakov on Unsplash

I don't think anyone likes being sick. I mean obviously, it sucks. You can't go out, you can't eat, you can't walk, even just laying in bed can be uncomfortable. When I am home my mom always helps me with food and blankets, I am pampered. But when I am at school it is a disaster. I have been sick for the last couple of days. I have been hearing my mother's voice in the back of my head, telling me what to do, which has inspired me to share some motherly wisdom for how to battle a disgusting cough like your mom would.

1. "How much water did you drink today?"

At my school, the administrators apparently think that we don't need water to survive, so there is only two water fountain that I know of and neither of which are in my dorm. Nevertheless, drinking water automatically makes you feel better and gives you slightly more energy, so if you do have to suffer through classes you can at least keep your eyes open.

2. "Why is this dirty dish sitting here?"

I don't know about you, but I have a roommate who literally lives two feet away from at all times. If I am battling some disease, I definitely don't want to share it. Be selfless when you have a cough or a cold and wipe down everything you touch and don't just cough out into oblivion. Don't leave your dirty dishes or clothes laying around if they could have bacteria. If you do chances are your roommate will get sick and then it could just come right back to you.

3. "Eat your vegetables"

My snack drawer is filled with junk. I am sure most college students food stash is the same. Let me warn you now while you are healthy. GET SOMETHING HEALTHY. When you are actually sick, the last thing you want to do is walk anywhere. Do yourself a favor right now and get some tea and fruit, I wish I had. I know vegetables are annoying, but they do actually make you feel better.

4. "Have you been taking your vitamins?"

I never used to take my vitamins, purely because my mother wanted me to, but now I take them every day and they usually keep me from getting sick (usually), If you really want to avoid getting sick, go buy some gummy vitamins from your nearest store, and you will not regret it, I am sure you will not get sick for a long time.

4. "Lights out"

I am lucky to have a full day off of classes, so I spent that whole day snoring away in bed. BUT, if you do have class, don't be an idiot and go to sleep at a reasonable time. Nothing will make you sicker than lack of sleep while your immune system is fighting something, so listen to the mom in your head, put your phone down and give yourself a bedtime!

5. "Stop overreacting"

I know that when I get sick my anxiety level goes through the roof because I feel as though I am falling behind, even if I'm not. Adrenaline and stress combat your immune system, so if you are stressed while you are sick, your poor body is trying to fight two battles at once. Let your mind and body relax, while you heal. If you relax you will get better faster, and you won't have to be stressed. If you stress while you're sick you won't get better and that will just cause more stress. Don't overreact, just take a chill pill.

Although we may hate to admit it, our moms do know what they are talking about (most of the time), so listen up because you just might learn something.