Friendship Story About Life
Siblings

Fiction On Odyssey: Until The End

It's nice to have a peaceful day, but nothing is peaceful when you're with your best friend.

245
Unsplash / Ryan Franco
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Point_Fermin_Park,_Los_Angeles,_United_States_(Unsplash).jpg

I walk cheerfully throughout the house, humming Beethoven's fifth symphony. It's not every day where I can have a good day. With school, job, volunteer work and other stuff, it's hard to find a day where I can relax. As I enter the kitchen, I notice Michael leaning against the counter drinking orange juice.

"Well, I see you let yourself into the house," I state as I walk towards the cabinet to get a glass. I fill it up to the brink and take large gulps.

"That's what happens when you give me your house key," He says, smiling sweetly.

"I gave it to you for emergencies!" I say with fake anger.

"I was thirsty!" Michael exclaimed back.

"Being thirsty is not an emergency."

"It is if food is your life!"

"You're unbearable."

"I know."

We both look at each other and burst out laughing. Michael is leaning against the chair trying not to fall but failed miserably. Now, he is rolling on the floor, laughing so hard, no noise is even coming out. I'm leaning on the counter, trying to breathe but failing miserably.

We finally calm down, try to start breathing properly and wipe tears from our eyes. I turn my head and see my older brother staring at us as if we were going insane before telling us,

"I wanted some peace, so I thought to myself why not go home, but then I remembered that you live in it too."

Michael sticks his tongue out at him, and he sticks his back out before going upstairs to his room. We both sigh and sit down on the couch in the living room and stare at the TV. Usually, we would find something stupid to do, but we just sat there. Michael's head leaned against my shoulder, which looks like he is hunched over due to the fact that he is taller than me. I sat there continuing to hum Beethoven's fifth symphony when I heard the front door knob jiggle.

Michael lifts his head and turns to see who's going to come in. The front door view was blocked by a wall, so we couldn't see who would come in from our vantage point. We both have our heads peeking from the top of the couch, watching silently to see who comes in.

"I hope it's the FBI!"

He turns to stare at me with an incredulous look, saying, "Are you insane? Did you do something to draw the attention of them?"

I look at him from the corner of my eyes and whisper to him, "I've never seen anyone kick a door in before. It's so exciting! And no, I didn't do anything."

"Knowing you, I bet you did," Michael whispers back.

"Shut up or they'll know we're home."

We continue to stare until the door opens. We both hold out breaths and lower our heads in an attempt to hide.

"The door wasn't broken, so we can rule out the FBI," Michael states. I roll my eyes at him and stare to see whoever walks through the door.

"Kids, I'm home!"

My eyes widen. She's home early. She must have had a quiet day today at work.

"Hi, mom!" I hear my brother yell from upstairs. My mom chuckles and looks towards us with a questioning look in her eyes, to which Michael replies with while pointing his finger at me,

"She thought you were the FBI." I shoot Michael a glare. My mom laughs at this and whispers to herself as she walks upstairs to get cleaned us, "What am I going to do with you kids."

We sat there on the couch, the house quiet minus the yelling from my brother who is probably playing Fortnite.

"You ever wonder about the future?" Michael asks me with a thoughtful expression.

"I do, sometimes," I reply back.

"You ever notice how we are told to follow our dreams and work hard, but in the end, it doesn't matter? People just say that, but don't mean it, because it's all about money to them."

"Ya. Why can't we make money doing what we love? It might not be a lot, but at least every day won't be dreadful," I reply back softly.

"Well, I say screw all of them. It's going to be a long and painful journey, but we have to hope that in the end, it will all be worth it, plus I've got you to drag me out of trouble."

"I couldn't agree with you more," I replied, smiling at him, wondering where I found an amazing friend.

"I help up my pinky finger to her, smile, and say, "Until the end?"

He looks and me, smiles, and hooks his pinky around mine and says to me, "Until the end."

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.