Fiction On Odyssey: Letting Go

Fiction On Odyssey: Letting Go

The hardest part of death is learning to let go.

211
Fiction On Odyssey: Letting Go

A sweet-smelling breeze blew through the meadow, causing the wildflowers to dance. The sky was cloudless as if someone had taken a brush and spread a fresh coat of paint across it. Alice sat in patches of baby’s breath and California poppies as she gazed up at the clear sky above. She traced her fingertips along the bouquets of flowers that rested around her. Very carefully she plucked a California poppy out of the earth and braided it into her hair. Alice let out a soft sigh of despair, “They said our love was strong – so strong that nothing could break it. Who knew that love could destroy itself…” she muttered to herself. The leaves rustled as another gust of wind came through the meadow, sending a few dead leaves spiraling to the ground, below the branches. Her bright green eyes adjusted to the rays of light that poured from the sun onto the warming earth. Two large wings, sprouting from her back, spread out around her; they were absent of color and covered in thick colonies of feathers. Alice did not seem surprised of her newfound appendages; in fact, nothing had surprised her, at least not in death. She held a few clumps of baby breath in her clenched fist and soon began ripping them apart, sending the pieces into the breeze. She watched the wind carry them away and shifted herself to stand up, the wildflowers dancing around her bare feet. That’s when the tears began to fall. Alice grabbed her chest, clawing at it as if wanting to rip her heart right out - the pain was too much. For it was not the pain of death that consumed her but rather the pain of having to let go.

Alice opened her mouth but no sound came from her throat; only silent sobs as she collapsed onto her knees. After a few moments, she pulled her hands away from her tear-stained face and allowed the warmth of the sun touch it. She knew she'd never move on if she held onto all the guilt and regret; the guilt of leaving Daniel too quickly and the regret of never getting to spend another day with him. And the fear. The horrible, all-consuming fear that Daniel would find someone to love in her place. Someone who would erase the memory of her, who would become the love of his life just as she had. Alice froze for a moment, wrapped up in her own thoughts and then relaxed coming to a sudden revelation. She wiped her drying tears away and slowly laid back down in the patches of flowers, closing her eyes. A montage of memories flew through her head of the good times she had, had with Daniel: the first time he asked her out, the first time they kissed, the first time he had told her he loved her... and then the clip stopped. It rested on a memory unfamiliar to Alice. Daniel held her tightly in his arms, hands pressed against bleeding wounds and through waterfalls of tears and a cracking voice, "Please don't leave me! Don't you understand? I love you Alice! I love you!" Sirens echoed in the distance, quickly moving closer. Daniel frantically looked around, before turning his attention back to Alice's dying body, "It's okay..." He suddenly breathed, finally understanding it was too late, "I'm letting you go, but I won't ever forget you...."

Alice's eyes flickered open and she sat up, glancing around the expansive meadow. She did not feel pain anymore, nor an aching urge to wallow in self-pity. Instead, she carefully stood up and grasped a California poppy in her, inhaling it's earthly fragrance. She heard laughter coming from further down the meadow and began to run towards it, before coming onto a small group of people. A few were children, but most were older adults and they all turned their attention on Alice when she arrived. Without so much as a word, they motioned to her to follow them and started to head towards a set of gates in the distance. In fear of being alone again, Alice caught up with them, "Where are we going?" She softly asked, not sure what to expect in a response. One of the younger children, tapped her side and managed a small smile, "Wherever you find your peace..." And with that, Alice genuinely smiled for the first time and was ready for whatever was to come.