A Few Things All Women Can Learn From Jackie O.

She was more than a First Lady.

85
Instagram

Jackie Kennedy Onassis: First Lady, mother, talented journalist, and an icon. I for one am a big fan of Jackie O. How could you not be? She is not just another one of history's First Ladies, she was an inspiration and a role model for all women, and here's why.

1. Her fashion was always on point.

Whether she was attending Presidential events, meeting government officials, or doing some everyday errands, Jackie O was always dressed to impress. Her chic and effortless style drew the world's attention and made her a style icon for decades to come. With her perfectly blown out hair, her classy dresses, and of course her signature pearls, Jackie O was always dressed to impress.

"Pearls are always appropriate." -Jackie Kennedy Onassis

2. She was a talented journalist.

Prior to becoming the First Lady, Jackie Kennedy pursued her talents in journalism. As the inquiring camera girl for the Washington Times-Herald newspaper, Jackie interviewed many prestigious politicians and public figures in Washington D.C.

"Being a journalist seemed the ideal way of both having a job and experiencing the world, especially for anyone with a sense of adventure." -Jackie Kennedy Onassis

3. She handled her husband's assassination with poise and class.

"There will be great presidents again, but there will never be another Camelot." -Jackie Kennedy Onassis

4. She put her kids before everything else.

Although she had many duties as the First Lady, she took her role as a mother very seriously. She was often seen playing with her children on the White House lawn and running occasional errands with her kids by her side. Although the First Family was constantly in the public eye, Jackie made sure to provide some level of privacy and normalcy for her children.

"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do matters very much." -Jackie Kennedy Onassis

5. She showed deep appreciation for history and the nation's past.

During her time as First Lady, Jackie Kennedy made it her mission to restore the state rooms in the White House, as well as promote national art and history. Prior to JFK's presidency, little was done to preserve historic furniture, architecture, and art. This was quickly changed after the Kennedy family took over the White House. Jackie even starred in a televised special, A Tour of the White House with Mrs. John F. Kennedy, that gave the American public a detailed tour of one of the nation's most important and symbolic buildings.

"If we don't care about the past, we cannot hope for the future... I care desperately about saving old buildings." -Jackie Kennedy Onassis

Overall, Jackie Kennedy Onassis will forever be remembered as one of the nation's most beloved First Ladies, however, she was more than that. She took pride in her femininity and did not let the gender roles of the time stop her from pursuing her professional and personal passions. So ladies, find your inner Jackie O and embrace your womanhood!

"I am a woman above everything else." -Jackie Kennedy Onassis