Feng Shui

Feng Shui To Make The Most Of Your Space

Feng Shui is helpful for a healthy, happy, home.

362
McCall Donoho

Feng Shui is an ancient Chinese practice that is becoming more prominent in today's culture as minimalism and simplicity continues to be highlighted. The practice of Feng Shui revolves around energy flow and the five elements, with a goal to make the space as accommodating and supportive as possible. Through the practice, negative energy is corrected and replaced with more positive energy, such that energy is balanced and the space can be beneficial for personal life growth.

We spend a lot of our time at home – whether that be at night, during sleep, or throughout the day. If the space in which you live channels negative energy, finding success economically, physically, and emotionally can be difficult. Rather, with some slight modifications through the practice of Feng Shui, the negative can be substituted with positive energy. Positive energy flowing through a space, specifically a home or office, leads to more physical energy and a more positive attitude. Even if these changes are minimal, accomplishments are easily achieved with increased energy and a positive mindset.

The minimalist population is growing daily - but even people who don't want to sell all of their earthly possessions and live in a tiny house are in a minimalism trend. People seem to be very focused on keeping their space tidy and simple. For some, this practice is merely preference. But others note how a tidy bedroom or office space allows for enhanced creativity, improved efficiency, superior focus, and boosted energy. Feng Shui can be responsible for these observations. Tidiness and simplicity are both very important in the practice. An organized and uncluttered space allows for energy to flow freely without interruption or affluence.

The five elements are known to each carry a unique energy, specific to that element. For example, the energy that is channeled by wood is said to bring prosperity and harmony. Consequently, if you are wanting to feel more peaceful to improve sleep, incorporating more wood in your bedroom (i.e. bedside table, bed, bookshelf) can help. Fire is the element of passion, which comes as no surprise – movies and TV shows have been imprinting this on people for decades now with the candlelit dinner, candlelit bath, and candlelit bedroom scenes. Metal is known to encourage focus and concentration, earth improves stability (think grounded), and water enriches communication.

Another component in Feng Shui is plants, something that you can easily add to your room that houses the energy of life. Plants can absorb negative energy and replace it with improved air quality by purifying the air through the process of photosynthesis. Whether you choose to live in an indoor garden or just simply add a succulent to your windowsill, the overall Feng Shui of the room will be improved by the energy of the living plant.

Natural light is undoubtedly beneficial for any room. Light therapy is used to treat depression and seasonal depression; if that doesn't scream beneficial then I don't know what does. Incorporating natural light into a room influences the room's energy because light is energy. So if you are feeling sluggish, try adding some natural light. Positioning your bed so that your head receives the most natural light in the morning is a natural alarm clock that can help you wake up feeling rejuvenated.

Any step taken to improve the Feng Shui of a living space results in positivity. The changes don't have to be outrageous to make an impact. Energy is very sensitive and easily affected; which is great when there is an awareness of energy in space because it can be quickly improved with minimal effort – and isn't that what any real minimalist wants!?