are sororities feminist
College Greek

It Absolutely Is Possible To Be A Sorority Sister And Feminist, I'm Living Proof

Sororities and feminism seem like polar opposites, but they have a lot more in common than you'd think.

328
sorority sisters hugging

I've always been outspoken. My beliefs are as strongly rooted as my desire to stand up for them. No one was surprised when I decided to become a journalism major. Writing was always a strong suit for me and I wanted the opportunity to bring awareness to important problems with the platform I would have within media. I also liked people and the stories they told, and the process of interviewing them about their lives.

One cause always close to my heart was feminism. I was raised in a family of strong and intelligent women who empowered me and taught me that I can do anything I wanted. After reading "I Am Malala" by Malala Yousaf in early high school, I had an awakening to the inequality that half of our population, including myself, faces. Years later I've learned more about the intricacies and controversies within the feminist discussion.

While I'm not expert, I feel confident in my ability to defend the rights of women and to act as an activist for all people, regardless of race, gender, sexuality, orientation, class or origin.

I proudly entered college ready to defend feminism and to change the world for the better. While there's no Nobel Peace Prize in my immediate future, I have done my best to be a leader and an advocate. Part of that process was by joining my sorority.

With it I'm an active member of my collegiate community. I regularly participate in philanthropy events with organizations like Meals on Wheels and Children's Miracle Network, and additionally have raised thousands of dollars with my sisters for the needy. I've been put into a role that inspires and pushes me to have academic, social and moral successes.

I am absolutely in love with my sisters. These beautiful and smart girls have a lot in common with the ladies within my family. They inspire me to be a better women and to reach for the ideals set forth by the women who have come before us.

Not everyone has seen the beauty of my sorority. People thought I was going back on my beliefs as a feminist and joining a sexist society that values me on physical appearance alone. There is a connotation connected to sororities of them being demeaning and just a way for elitist rich girls to form clicks and waste their parents money in order to party and talk to equally as conceded frat boys.

Many incoming freshmen might see Greek life this way. It's common for those outside the hidden world of sororities and fraternities to be ignorant to what goes on inside the big houses in Greek Village. As fabulous as it would to live the life of Elle Woods, her time in Delta Nu is not representative of mine or many other girl's experiences as a sorority sister.

So can you be a sister and a feminist?

I've heard many people say that you can only join a sorority if you are thin, blonde and white, but there is absolutely no truth in that. The process to joining a sorority, or rushing, involves multiple days or weeks of the prospect new members being analyzed and questioned on their leadership, involvement and personality. The brand of clothing, or color of the girl's hair is not included in conversation.

One of the biggest factors that decides if a woman is eligible of entering a sisterhood is her academics. Good grades are a requirement to pledging. Many schools don't allow one to be initiated if their GPA is below a 2.5. I'm very proud to say there are girls of every race, shape and class in my sorority, and we love them all the same.

Data shows that those involved in Greek life are statistically more likely to have a higher GPA than their non affiliated counterparts. Many sororities require study hours and hold their members accountable to their schoolwork. Greek organizations build their sisters up and assist them in being as successful as they can be. Sororities are not a haven for the airhead stereotypes seen in movies. My own sisters are studying to be doctors, scientists, activists, lawyers and politicians.

Other requirements that permits PNMs to enter a sorority and which additionally allows them to maintain their status is service and involvement, on and off campus. A sorority's given philanthropy is the core of their organization. All sisters are expected to be involved, and not just by donating money. We go out into our local and national communities and work together to help others.

This not only builds sisterhood, but makes sisters value leadership and charity. Some sororities, like Gamma Phi Beta, support Girls on The Run, while Zeta Tau Alpha's philanthropy raises money and awareness for breast cancer. Countless other sororities support causes that benefit people of different gender, races, classes and abilities.

Sisters work together to raise up the communities they are in and to share their talents and hearts with as many people they can. In addition to these benefiting the needy, they allows girls to gain leadership and service experience that can help them in their future.

Not only do sororities promote feminism and unite women during college, but after as well.

Sisterhood is a lifelong bond that connects women across all generations. Alumna use the influence and knowledge they have gained in their life to empower younger sisters and assist them in their careers. They act as mentors and role models to to these women starting out in a workforce that can often be impenetrable to recent graduates, especially females. In this aspect, sororities work hard to break the glass ceiling. Leaders like Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Harper Lee and Welthy Honsinger Fisher (a respected feminist and activist) are all powerful women whose roots lead back to their collegiate days.

The greatest way sororities promote feminism and women is through the bond of sisterhood that connects each sister. In a world with women constantly tearing each other apart for how they look and act, sororities are a place where girls can grow and be loved and motivated so they can become better forms of themselves. It's here women can learn how powerful sisterhood, not only within their sororities but throughout the world, can be.

After joining, members will have their eyes opened to the magic that can happen when amazing women come together, and isn't that what feminism is all about?