What's Your Definition Of Feminism?
Politics

What's Your Definition Of Feminism?

We all have our own. And what we exclude is just as important as what we include.

17
What's Your Definition Of Feminism?

I used to believe that feminism was stupid and that the Second Amendment was the most important of all amendments. But as I got older, my beliefs began to change and vastly differ from everyone around me. For the past year, I've known that my views were the complete opposite of those of my family and friends, but I constantly neglected to share my opinions, thanks to my crippling fear of being labeled negatively and thought of differently. But it's starting to dawn on me that I don't have to pick one extreme. I don't have to choose extreme feminism or complete anti-feminism. I don't have to choose between defending the Second Amendment and being totally anti-guns. I can chose my opinions and adapt them to certain situations and in ways that suit me -- and that's exactly what I've done.

So, I am a feminist. But my definition of feminism is different from others because we all have our own. My definition isn't just about women -- it's about gender equality.

I don't want anyone's gender to affect the way I treat them or the way I think of them -- man or woman. As a woman, I want to have every opportunity a man does, and I don't want to be treated any differently just because I'm a woman. And no, I'm not just talking about the perks of being a man -- I'm talking about the bad stuff too. I don't want any man to tiptoe around me just because I'm a woman. Men shouldn't have to worry about saying the wrong things around me because they think that I'm sensitive -- and their only reason as to why they think that is because of what's under my skirt.

I don't want a man to give up his seat on the train or hold open a door for me just because I'm a woman. But, if you do give up your seat or hold open the door for me, do it because you're a nice person, not just because of my gender.

I think if a man and a woman are doing the same job with the same quality and performance, then they should be receiving the same compensation. I think it's bogus that when I was a member of the Girl Scouts, I was taught how to cook and exfoliate my face while the boys learned how to tie knots and start fires. Maybe I wanted to learn how to start fires and maybe the boys wanted to learn how to cook.

I also don't think women were created solely to benefit men. I think women shouldn't be criticized about what they chose to do with their lives. Working moms are cool, stay-at-home moms are cool, and women who never have kids are cool. I could go on and on about what my definition of feminism is, but that seems unnecessary. I want to express the most important part of my definition: what it isn't.

Feminism is not trying to act more like a man. I don't want to free bleed while on my period or get access to free sanitary products and birth control (although I do think they should be less expensive). I don't want to stop shaving my armpits and legs. I don't think women are better than men. I don't want to free the nipple or stop wearing bras. I'm a woman, and I'm proud as hell to be a woman. I'm still going to embrace my feminine qualities and be "girly." Believing in gender equality doesn't mean you have to leave behind your feminine or masculine attributes that you once possessed. Being a feminist doesn't involve changing the way I live -- it's about believing that every single person on this planet should have equal opportunities and that everyone should be able to chose whatever lifestyle they want regardless of their gender.

At the end of the day, I don't want my gender to affect what you think of me. If I'm being dramatic or sensitive, don't blame it on the fact that I'm a woman -- blame it on the fact that I'm in a bad mood. No gender is better than the other, and if everyone could stop treating people certain ways just because of what gender they are, maybe I wouldn't be writing this article.