Feminism Is Not About Hating Men, So Stop Proudly Bashing The Movement

Get your facts straight, and get it together.
529

I read at least five articles a week, many shared right here on Odyssey, about girls who'd never consider themselves feminists. The authors of these articles list reasons as to why they disagree with the movement, and although their reasons may vary, they all come down to one thing: they believe feminism is about hating men.

I have to laugh, I really do.

Have these women never picked up a dictionary? If you're going to dedicate an entire article to why you think the movement is stupid, you should at least know what you're talking about.

And I get it, there are many women who consider themselves feminists yet are radical and absolutely despise men. But guess what? Those women are not feminists. A feminist is someone who believes in the equality of the sexes and does not believe there should be a hierarchy.

When I see women bash feminism, my blood boils. Feminism gave them the right to vote, the right to go to school, the right to have a career, the right to have a say in who and when they marry (if they choose to do so), and the right to voice their opinion. It is currently the movement stopping sexual predators.

There are thousands of women across the globe who do not yet possess many of these rights, and feminism is the thing that's going to change that. We've already seen it happen in many countries just within the past few years. So when privileged women laugh at feminism, it makes me realize they have no idea that they reap the benefits of it daily.

So, if you roll your eyes at the thought of feminism, I'm here to tell you to get your facts straight, stop listening to uninformed people, and get it together.