Feminism In Myanmar

Feminism In Myanmar

Feminism in Myanmar is pseudo-feminism.

1304
Feminism In Myanmar
Lefty Cartoons

I am always conflicted between American culture and Burmese culture. My mother is pretty much the opposite of me because she was raised in a very traditional family back in Myanmar. On the other hand, I grew up in both Malaysia and the United States. To be specific, New York is where I found feminism and it changed me. Now as a feminist in New York, it’s time to speak up.

I remember when I wanted to play soccer with the guys from my class, I wasn’t allowed to. My teachers did not say anything directly but it was implied in their looks that I shouldn’t be playing among guys. My female classmates looked down on me because apparently, it wasn’t feminine. I never realized this is not okay until I came to America. When I was in 8th grade, everybody played handball in the school yard during lunch break. Girls were allowed to play whatever they want, including handball and basketball. Nobody called them masculine and nobody looked down on them. That was when I first realized there was still discrimination and inequality among women in Myanmar. Now I am speaking out about it.

What does it mean to be a feminist? What is feminism in Myanmar? This is the answer I’ve been looking for many years. I truly don’t believe there is feminism in Myanmar although Aung San Suu Kyi is the symbolism of it. The first thing that comes to mind when I think of Suu Kyi is the way she dresses. She is so graceful all the time because she always have flowers in her hair and she always wear Burmese traditional clothing. She is a respectful figure in Myanmar and I have nothing against her for dressing traditionally and gracefully. But here comes the tricky part. If she wears something revealing which can be considered “slutty,” I think our country will go crazy. The whole country will explode. It is because a traditional Burmese woman is not supposed to wear anything that reveals. Therefore, many female authority figures, teachers, doctors and many women with honorary careers do not wear anything revealing which can be considered “slutty.” This frustrates me so much because women aren’t allowed to wear anything revealing or otherwise, they are considered slutty. Slut shaming is a major issue in Myanmar and this is why it is the first topic I am bringing it up. It is not okay for society, especially men, to decide what we can or cannot wear. It is not okay to slut shame. It is not okay for someone else to decide what you can or cannot wear.

There are so many little things that women cannot do or otherwise, they are considered “not a good woman.” For example, if a woman smokes on the street, everyone in the neighborhood automatically looks down on her. If a girl goes out to the clubs and bars, she is automatically considered “a bad girl.” If a woman have more than one sex partner, she is considered a “whore.” However, if a guy does all those things, apparently it seems “okay.” This is a double-standard. There is no feminism in Myanmar from what I am seeing. It’s just that now that we have more freedom to do things but we still are expected to live in that society’s expectations of being a traditional woman.

In comparison, women in New York can wear whatever they desire. Nobody can slut shame them and nobody really looked down on someone for the way they dress and the way they choose to live their lives. There is freedom and feminism in America unlike Myanmar. The feminism they project in Myanmar is a pseudo-feminism. For example, Article 348 in the 2008 constitution states, “the Union shall not discriminate any citizen of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar, based on race, birth, religion, official position, status, culture, sex and wealth.” However, when it comes to the appointment of government posts, some positions are “naturally suitable for men only.” It is not only the government-related-jobs, it is everywhere. Even my mother thinks a man is a suitable candidate for a leadership position when we were discussing about upcoming United States presidential election. It is just the way the society thinks. I believe it was brainwashed in the previous decades. That’s why women were always afraid to do things but as time has passed, many women came forward and started taking in control. However, there are still inequality and discrimination.

There is discrimination among women, not just in workplace, but also in their daily lives. If there is feminism in Myanmar, please guide me to it because I still haven’t seen it fully to its extend. I want all the women in Myanmar to realize that we need to fight for our rights as women. This is the feminism that I believe in. That is the feminism I want in Myanmar.