8 Things You Hear As A Female In A Male-Dominated Major

The glass ceiling is higher, but not gone.
769

Over the past decade or so, there has been an enormous shift to raise the glass ceiling, and you see more equality in roles of men and women. Although this shift is something to be proud of, there are still some comments that linger when women are in the "wrong" gendered field. Many majors like engineering, chemistry, physics, and math are all have a higher percentage of males obtaining degrees than females, and at times, it can be hard to forget that. Here are 8 things that you can hear when you're in a predominately male major.

1. "Wow. I'm impressed."

Why? Why is it more impressive that I'm a chemistry major than the guy who sits next to me in class?

2. "Isn't it hard, though?"

Yes it is. But that doesn't mean I can't do it! All sciences are hard, but that doesn't make them impossible. The difference in physical sciences that some people don't get is that you actually have to learn to do the work instead of just memorizing your way to an A. Apparently that makes classes hard now?

3. "Why aren't you a biology major?"

Um, what? Believe it or not, but I have gotten this one several times. I'm not a biology major because I don't like biology. I'm a chemistry major because I like chemistry. It's not that hard to figure out.

4. "You don't strike me as the type to be a _____ major."

Again, to this I ask "Why?" What about me makes you think I can't tackle a physical science and math heavy course load?

5. "If you're a chemistry major, you must be on the pre-med track then."

(Although this is true for me) why does it mean that I must be on the pre-med track? What if I want to research or work for a pharmaceutical company or literally one of the billion other things you can do with a chemistry degree?

6. "Good for you."

Thank you. It is good for me to be in a major that suits me and that I enjoy.

7. "You must meet a lot of guys by being a _____ major."

Well there are guys who are also the same major as me, but it's honestly no different than any other major. I'm usually too focused on the lecture or the problem in front of me to notice anyway!

7. "Well at least I don't have to do all those labs for my major!"

You're right; labs can be a pain sometimes. But in the end, they can be really helpful in understanding complex concepts. At least I have the ability to learn my subject hands-on!

8. "Well you're gonna be rich someday."

There is a silver lining at the end of the day. Working hard doing something you love will pay off. Also being a female in a male-dominated major will help you get jobs down the road because you look more "diverse." So there are some positives!