Short Stories On Odyssey: A Bedroom Accident

Don't be a baby

9

I woke up to darkness and the sound of Trevor sleeping next to me. I reached over to find that he was on the very edge of the bed. I chuckled to myself that even though we shared the same bed he made sure I had my space. He had always been that way. Giving not only me but every woman her personal space.

I rolled back over to the far side of my end. I groped in the dark to find the alarm clock. In my search, I knocked it off the table with a quiet thud. Taking a deep breath I leaned over trying to find it. It wasn’t by the bed, so I reached further. This only managed for me to fall off with a loud thud, and pulling all the blankets off with me. I heard Trevor sit up in the bed and slide his hands around looking for me. “Soph, where are you?” he asked in a sleepy voice.

“I fell off the bed looking for the alarm clock. Can you help me up? I landed funny on my leg and it hurts,” I said trying to put myself into a sitting position that wouldn’t cause pain.

“Yeah I’m coming over hang on,” he said getting out of the bed and walking over. He was sweeping his hands looking for me and found me by swatting me in the face.

“Hey that hurt,” I said with a chuckle.

“Don’t be a baby,” he said reaching down and lifting me up. He gently put me back in the bed, then he reached down and grabbed the blanket and put it up there too. He went back after that and found the alarm clock. When he picked it up he pressed the light for the time. It was two in the morning.

“Thanks, sorry I woke you up,” I said feeling bad for how early it was.

“It’s alright. I went to bed early. I was up really late last night with Meagan. We were making sure you were alright,” he said getting back into the bed.

“Oh well, you go back to sleep. I’ll sit here quietly,” I encouraged him.

“No, it’s fine. I’m awake now,” he said flipping on his lamp. The yellow orange light was like taking a punch in the eye sockets.

“Geez that’s bright,” I said blinking trying to get my eyes to adjust.

“Yeah no kidding,” he said rubbing his eyes.

“Since we are both up what do you want to do?” I asked putting myself into a sitting position.

“I don’t know. What did we normally do when we would go camping and not be able to sleep?” he asked with a yawn.

“Play cards, tell ghost stories, wander around the woods, and a ton of other stuff,” I said putting my hair up in a ponytail.

“Let’s play cards. I think I saw a deck in my nightstand,” he said opening up the drawer and sifting the contents inside until he found the cards. “So what game shall we play this time?” he asked shuffling them.

“How about we play poker?” I asked.

“Poker it is,” he said dealing the cards. We spent the next few hours playing poker, and when that got bored we sat and talked. We talked about school and reminisced about past adventures. At some point, both of us fell asleep again.

As always I was the first to wake up, only this time I was right next to him. My head was laying on his chest and holding one of his hands while the other was behind holding me. I smiled to myself and kissed his cheek lightly like a feather. I slowly and with as much subtleness as possible got out of the bed. I was still in the clothes I put on yesterday, so I just walked out of the room. I took a quick stop to the bathroom.

I ran a comb through my hair and brushed my teeth. I looked out the window and found that the sun was beginning to creep over the tree line. It had been a while since I had watched the sunrise, so I decided to go out and watch. It took me awhile to get down the stairs quietly, but I managed it. As quietly as I could I opened the door. I closed it just as quietly as I opened it. By the time I was able to sit on the cliff edge and watch the sunrise it had already gotten halfway over the horizon.

The sight was magnificent. The sky was lit in beautiful colors of pink, orange, and yellow with just a hint of blue. I have watched the sunrise for years and I always said the same thing to myself, “God takes extra time when he creates a new day.”

I watched the sun clear the trees and then diverted my eyes to the forest below. Down by the tree line, I saw a flash of movement and focused on it. I continued to look where I saw it move last and then I saw movement several feet away from where it was. Normally any big game stays away because of the smell of humans. Our UTVs were right out front. Whatever it was it was big because I could hear it moving from up here.

Curiosity growing I picked up a rock close to where I was sitting and threw it down to where I saw the movement. I heard a crack of the rock hitting the tree and something big suddenly move and let out a high pitched chirp or whistle then run further into the brush.

“What in the world?” I said to myself. I sat and thought. I went through all the animals I knew about in this area that could make those noises. It could be possible that when I threw my rock it hit a still sleeping birds nest and startled a bobcat, or a young moose. Whatever it was it had to be heavy.

I sat and thought about the mysterious creature for a few more minutes until I heard the front door open. It was Max.

“Why are you out here so early?” he said yawning and walking over to me.

“I was watching the sunrise, and just looking at stuff,” I said as he sat down next to me.

“That sounds awful,” he said yawning again and crossing his arms.

“To you maybe, but I like watching the sunrise,” I said noticing that there was a slight chill in the air.

“Yeah well you like to do a whole bunch of agonizing stuff and getting up early is one of them,” he said looking around at the forest. All the birds were chirping now and small fluttering figures started to appear in the sky.