Feeling Homesick At College When You Live In The Dorms
College

I Live In The Dorms And Have A Home, But I Still Feel 'Homeless' At College

While in college home doesn't feel like home anymore, and your dorm certainly doesn't either.

110

The first year of college is definitely the most difficult transition-wise. You move away from home, whether it's just into the dorms or to another city or state — it's a little overwhelming.

But nobody mentioned the fact that I would feel lost and homeless until I felt comfortable at school!

Dorms are okay. You can make them your own and try to make them feel cozy, but it just isn't the same as "home."

I tried to decorate my side of the room like I had it back home, hoping that it would make me feel less homesick, but really, it did nothing. I even bought a fish to try and distract me from feeling lonely, but still, it fixed nothing.

No matter what I did while I was away at college, I could never feel 100 percent comfortable being there and that was hard.

So then I decided "I'll just go home for a weekend, that will solve it!" Wrong again. I returned home after a few weeks from college to my hometown and I felt like a stranger to where I grew up.

Nothing changed. The town was the exact same as when I had left, the same people resided there, yet I felt out of place. Once I got home and sat with my family it felt good to see them, but my house didn't really feel the same.

I was at home but I felt like I was in someone else's.

I have gone home multiple times since I started college. And to this day I feel like I don't have a home. My house is just somewhere I visit now with the people I love and my dorm is only a temporary place for me to stay with some new roommate.

A plus side to feeling this way is it gives you more motivation to save up money and get your own place. That may be the only positive I think, because feeling lost/homeless really sucks. It happens to the best of us though, and you can get through it!