7 Things To Do When you Feel Overwhelmed

Just breath.

82
Bridget Godsil

With school out and finals over, many of us are still feeling that residual stress from the previous semester. We are still expecting assignments to be due, quizzes to magically appear in our Canvas account, and the dreaded group projects to pop out of nowhere. Or for some of us, summer semester is just starting. We might be feeling overwhelmed and underprepared for another semester filled with due dates and stress about our GPAs. And aside from all of that - many of us might be faced with familial responsibilities, new jobs or internships, and the urge to finally relax and take advantage of the summer's possibilities.

With all of this in mind, I have decided to supply everyone with some tips and tricks I have utilized to relax and take control when you feel overwhelmed.

1. Focus on your breathing

Sounds silly, I know, but focusing on your breathing can be an easy way to lower your stress levels and think clearer. There is one technique that I have used and find to be helpful when you have a lot on your mind or are faced with a big decision. This technique is called "equal breathing" where you breathe in and out for the same amount of counts. Start with four counts and if you want to, work your way up to seven or eight counts. By doing this we are challenging our emotional and neural response and allowing our body and mind to take control.

2. Listen to music

Music has an emotional connection to us and can be really helpful in reducing stress. Music can be utilized to just distract us or be used as a means for meditation to explore our thoughts and feelings on what is overwhelming us. Whether you blast your favorite tunes for distraction or play slow, soothing ambient music to allow for meditation, music can be an amazing catalyst for stress management.

3. Eat some chocolate!

Any Harry Potter fan could tell you, eating some chocolate when you are overwhelmed can be a good start to relaxing! And luckily, science backs this up! Studies show that some dark chocolate can help lower stress and help with one's mood. So next time you feel the world's weight on your shoulders, treat your self to some dark chocolate to help with the nerves.

4. Call or talk to a friend or family member

If you are feeling really stressed out and just need to voice out your thoughts, calling a trusted friend or family member can be an amazing stress reliever. Try to find someone friend that can empathize with your position and has good listening skills. It is always helpful to have someone that can take your jumbled mess of thoughts and help you work through them.

5. Go for a run!

I know! Exercising, for most people, is not our favorite activity BUT it can be super beneficial for stress. When we exercise, our brain releases endorphins (AKA natural painkillers!!!) that can help better our mood, better our ability to sleep, and more! So when you feel overwhelmed, maybe think about plugging in your headphones, blasting your tunes, and go for a jog. Don't feel like you have to push yourself to the extremes; know your limits and stay hydrated for the best results.

6. Make a list or utilize a planner

This is my personal favorite tip because it saved me.

7. If you still cannot take control, it might be time to reach out for help

Sometimes, our stress can be hard to control. But if your stress has started to weigh you down and crept into your everyday life, it might be time to reach out for professional help. Counseling is a good first step to speak to a professional and see what other ways you can take more control of your stress. USF has an amazing Counseling Center that I highly recommend going to and speaking with someone and if you are uncomfortable doing a one on one, they even have group sessions!

There are also other paths of aid such as medication that can also be critical in managing crippling stress or anxiety. Try not to feed into the stigma that today's society has on mental illnesses, counseling, or medication.