February is Here! Are Your New Year's Resolutions?

11

So it’s a month and a half into the supposedly exciting year that is 2015. This is around the time when the fact that it is a new year becomes old news and so do your "New Year's resolutions." Think hard. Can you even remember what you were swearing to do to better your year just about a month ago? Yeah, I can’t either. So I decided we should do some pondering on what our “so-called” resolutions are and why the heck we made them in the first place. Just because we are slowly creeping further into the year doesn’t mean our goals should creep away as well. Now no need to be hard on yourself if you have completely slacked on your resolutions, but let’s reevaluate!

Why did you make the resolutions in the first place?

What was the thought process you had when make your resolutions — if you even had one. It is possible that you were very sensible when writing out your goals for the new year, but also that it was a bandwagon resolution. Think about the reasoning behind your resolution, and it will feel much more relevant to your life!

Is it you or is it the resolution?

Sometimes the excitement of the new year can fog our logic. People tend to make resolutions that are far from reach and just down right unrealistic. Think about your resolutions and whether or not they are even possible to keep up with in your daily life — especially now that things are back in swing. (Come on, our break is long, but did you think it was gonna last FOREVER?)

Make new goals for your resolutions.

Maybe your resolutions were too vague and there wasn’t enough structure to keep them intact — this tends to be the case with most "New Year's Resolutions." Write down goals that will map out your progress. (This will also keep you in check with your resolutions.) Goals can make you feel less overwhelmed, and also pick up your motivation.

Don’t fret if you have been slacking on your resolutions — just remember that February is a typical month for resolution abandonment, and try to avoid this. It's easy to get caught up in short term occasions, but try to remind yourself at the beginning of each month about the goals that you made and what you want your 2015 to look like! I mean, I love writing about keeping up with resolutions, but I don’t know if I can keep the topic interesting for 12 months. Try revisiting these ideas not just now but throughout the rest of the year.