9 Foods Society Wants Us to be Afraid Of, But There's Nothing Scary About Them

Stop calorie counting for a minute and indulge in that dessert you are craving.

265

Diet culture teaches us that everything tasty is off-limits if you want to look your best. Whether it's a prom diet that specifically bars potato chips and white rice or the infamous meal plan for a bikini-body that prohibits pasta and ice cream, we're constantly being told not to eat anything besides celery if we want to be thin.

In my opinion, as long as you try your best to consume the proper nutrients for the day, there's no reason why you can't have that piece of chocolate you've been hiding in the back of your cabinet for the last week.

Social media may try to convince us that all carbohydrates are bad (which they are not) and that you must only eat fat-free versions of your favorite meals (which you do not). Everything you're eating is not always the wrong thing to be eating, despite what your favorite celebrity might be preaching.

There are so many snacks and treats that I grew up thinking were going to automatically make me gain twenty pounds. I am sick of living in a space where food has to be scary, so it's time for me and everyone else to focus on satisfying what our bodies want rather than what some meal plan tells us to do.

1. Bagels

media1.giphy.com

For so many years, I was petrified of just sniffing a bagel. Turns out bagels are tasty and they deserve to be recognized for it.

2. Spaghetti

Whether it's the classic dish of spaghetti and meatballs or a spicy spaghetti taco made famous by iCarly, any plate that includes noodles is the perfect comfort meal.

3. Peanut butter

Although people may fear peanut butter, it is actually a great source of fiber and energy.

4. Breakfast cereal

If I want to fulfill my childhood fantasy of eating a whole box of Cookie Crisps on my own, I will do it.

SEE ALSO: That New Fad Diet You're About To Start Won't Make You Healthier

5. French fries

Potatoes are a vegetable, so French fries are a salad. I will not be accepting any comments at this point in time.

6. Pancakes

I am more than willing to consume stacks on stacks on stacks.

7. Cupcakes

Maybe they are the more unhealthy versions of muffins, but they are also the tastier version.

8. Pizza

Allowing yourself only one slice of pizza is embarrassing.

9. Chocolate

No more attacking chocolate-covered sweets. It's time to appreciate them for everything they are: incredible.

It's okay to indulge yourself in the foods you enjoy rather than choosing the less-decadent option. What's the point of existing in a pancake-free world?