Change can be a good thing

Change can be a good thing

God helps to guide us through the changes we'll endure in life. Instead of being fearful, we should thrive.

65
Change can be a good thing

I have always struggled with change. I have always handled it well, as long as I have a concise list for it. You all should see before each semester begins. My room is covered from head to toe in sheets to prepare me for each class, highlighted pages, and formatted lists. Now, in some cases this is great, but in other ones it causes be more stress and fear. I get so much anxiety surrounding the upcoming changes that I am not looking at the great things to come. It truly encases me in doubt, sadness, and even anger sometimes. It took me a few semesters to finally take a step back look at the bigger picture. Changes can be difficult, whether it is school, moving away, a new or ending relationship, or even shifts in your daily schedule. We have all had those days where we have the day planned out and one minor issue arises, throwing off our day, right? Inevitably, it has taken me a while to come to terms with how amazingly wonderful change can truly be. We have always been told God has a plan for us, so why don't we completely put our trusting him then? Also, why does change really scare us? I have really thought long about this one, and it is because we search our consistency in secular things rather than the consistency of God.

What does God say about change?

"Old things are passed away; behold all things have become new." - 2 Corinthians 5:17

God encourages change, as if it a gift from him. He wants us, as his children, to accept this gift and us it to the best of our ability. He is event telling us to acknowledge that the old things must go, and it is a blessing for the new.

"Look, I am about to do something new; even now it is coming. Do you see it? I will make a way in the wilderness, rivers in a desert." - Isaiah 48:19

God is warning us of change. He hints at the adversity like the wilderness and deserts, but he promises to us his providence over us through it all. While our changes may look scary and hard, God promises to take care of us through it all. We must have faith in God and believe in his promises to us.

God reassures us through our fear of change.

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." - Deuteronomy 81:6

Sometimes, we do not want to change because of fear. It might be fear of failure, fear of the unknown, or the fear of getting hurt. While God commands for us to be strong, how can we cower when we have him by our side? Our God has promised us consistency, by being with us always. We have a lifeline for support 24/7, who is an awesome God of miracles, revival, and greatness, yet we still fall at the feet of the devil because of the fear of change.

"For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you, not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

The changes in life are a part of the plans God has for us. Just like in Isaiah, it may look scary, but through the journey we will see God has made a way. He promises he knows everything that we will face, so we shall not fear.

"Don't worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your request be known to God." - Philippians 4:6

While things are changing around us, those negative emotions reel, and our faith is shaken because of fear. God promises us that if we lay the fears down at his feet, he will bring peace upon us.

"Don't be afraid, just believe." - Mark 5:36

It is easy for our negative emotions that we lose sight of who God is. He is a constant and he only wants what is best for us. He does not wish for us. He does not wish for us to fall, so we must trust in God, who is consistent. We must hold onto him as the single constant hope in our lives.

God is consistent.

"When everything seems to be changing, we can rely on God's consistency." - Hebrews 13:8

While we may fear the charges, we can find comfort in the Lord. We may want the way things are to stay the same, but God's purpose is changing. During the changes, we can find our hope in the one thing that never changes: Our God is the same God yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

"I, the Lord, do not change." - Malachi 3:6

God reassures us again that we can have a promise of consistency in Him.

Much like me, we love to plan, but sometimes we need to let go. We need to allow his plans to work out, without our fears deflect from that. The emotions created by change can either be fear or courage. Which will you choose? The theoretical plans we have in place can block us from our future God has in store our lives. Sometimes it is okay to walk into the unknown, knowing that God is working behind the scenes for us. He will always be in our court and rooting for us, so have no fear. We won't embrace change, if we are too busy sticking to our plans. Let's try and let go from time to time and trust in God's plans and timing. I encourage you through this semester and the next, to find these changes and take it in stride. After all, change can be a good- even great thing.