My Favorite Holiday: The Fourth Of July

My Favorite Holiday: The Fourth Of July

Why Independence Day is the best day

55
My Favorite Holiday: The Fourth Of July
East County Magazine

As many of you know, the Fourth of July is a significant holiday that celebrates the unity of our nation, established on July 4th, 1776.

My love for this holiday started when I was a little girl, who had spent every 4th of July at her family summer cabin in Fairlee, Vermont since birth. The overall joy, vibrant colors, excitement of the firework displays, our annual cookout, and ceremonial parade in town, only made my heart grow fonder for this holiday.

When you are young, you are not exposed to the horrors and downfalls in life yet. With a nation like ours, we have run into situations of war and horror throughout our history that have in turn engrained the thought of nationalism and true investment in our nation, as our men and women were sacrificing their lives for our safety and freedom. Our flag symbolizes the 50 united states that were established in our country, the colors of the flag red, white, and blue mean more than just their appearance, and our Nation capital holds the key to our governance system and ways of law.

My interpretation of this holiday had come from studying in school and any of the information my family had given me along the way. What I love about this holiday is that it symbolizes the growth, unity, and strength of our nation to put things aside any differences and become a whole. Year after year we face another terrorist scare, or threat on our homeland, but does it stop us from living? Life as we know it is about taking risks, not stopping what you have to do because of the possibility of something going wrong.

I have seen a lot of things transpire throughout my 20 years that have made me want to hold onto my country with gripped hands. Things involving governmental disagreements, actions to war, and overall global interaction has a huge impact on all US citizens.The things I take most out of this holiday is how much one can invest so much love and admiration to a nation full heartedly and know that deep down, they can proudly say they live in a country that had influential forefathers who sat down and compromised huge issues. Don't get me wrong, I love the decorations, parties, and the family aspect of the holiday the most, but it doesn't discredit the love for history and our nation's blueprint to how we came together!