Who Do We Blame For School Shootings?

Who Do We Blame For School Shootings?

Answer: Not the victim's

256
Who Do We Blame For School Shootings?

In today's society, it is impossible to avoid the news of every new tragic shooting that occurs.

Within schools, movie theatres, concerts, and restaurants, there are few places where these violent events don't take place. One of the most prominent locations of gun violence in the United States is schools, and there have been many violent school shootings this year.

With many of the school shootings that have occurred recently, the media has revealed the stories behind the shooters, mostly saying how they were bullied. This has caused a lot of blame to be placed on the shoulders of the classmates and the shooter to be seen as a victim. School shootings are only the fault of the shooter.

Bullying is a problem within the United States, which while being addressed nationally, is normally ignored on a personal level. About 20% of high school students are bullied, but since bullying is less physical, it is easier to ignore. However, bullying is not an excuse. So many people were bullied in high school, but there is a choice to attack your classmates for something that they might not have any involvement in.

High school students are making pushes for gun control laws, even in my home state. These movements have been met by adults who have claimed that these students should be more involved in making laws about stopping bullying. High school students today are worried about the far too real possibility of an event like this happening in their school, while the adults in their lives are trying to shift the focus away from guns and towards bullying.

By telling students that their classmates have been killed is their fault makes it harder to get over what has happened. High school students don't need the added pressure of worrying if they could've prevented what happened, especially when trying to process losing friends.

Additionally, with shootings like UC Santa Barbara, the blame for the shooting falls on women. Instead of bullying, the reason behind the shooting is that the man was rejected, either romantically or sexually, by the woman he was pursuing.

In response to incidents like this, there have been people who have said that the best solution is to have women that are required to sleep with these men. However, this still doesn't make the crime the shooter's fault. Women have been and continue to be viewed as objects that only exist to do the bidding of men in their lives. There is no reason that in order to not murder people, a man is entitled to a woman of his choosing.

No matter the traumatic events that occur to those who committed the crimes, they shouldn't be viewed as the victim. They have brought more pain, suffering, and fear to those whose lives were directly impacted and bring up the general state of fear across the nation.

There shouldn't be new shootings every week, and these people should no longer be profiled as the victim. No one is able to commit a crime and just get away with it because of the struggles that they have faced. People need to be held accountable for their actions, and the blame shouldn't be placed on others.