Fatherhood

Fatherhood

Let's celebrate the hard work, the unconditional love, and the worth a father brings to his family each and every day.

19
Fatherhood
The Things I Never Said to My Father

Fathers Day is a very significant day for many Americans. Families everywhere celebrate the blessing of having a father. But not all families are lucky enough to celebrate the contributions that a father gives to his family on a day-to-day basis. Some fathers are in jail, some fathers could care less about their children, some divorced and can only see their children for a few months each year, some have restraining orders that prohibit them from seeing their children, and some fathers do not even know their children.

Having a father figure is extremely important in any family. The father is the protector and the wage earner of the family. He works hard so that his family does not end up hungry or on the streets. Furthermore, the father is responsible for disciplining the child and teaching the child important life lessons. Without a father figure, there is a higher chance that the children of that family could end up in jail, drop out of high school, or make choices that they will regret for the rest of their lives. And for many families there is a higher chance that the cycle of the absent father figure will repeat once again. The absent father figure is especially prevalent in neighbourhoods on the lower socioeconomic side. Boys who do not have father figures sometimes do not realise the importance of fatherhood. In the future, most boys will have a child. It is imperative that these future fathers learn to support their child so that their future children can become respectable men or women who will lead this world with class. Without a father figure, the mother has to be the primary wage earner in a family. That means that the mother has less time to spend with her children.

Of course having a father who abuses their children whether it is verbally, physically, emotionally, or sexually is not good either. All children deserve a father who treats them with respect and dignity. Children deserve a father who is stern and strict, yet patient and kind. Victims of child abuse are more likely to abuse their children later in life. Fortunately, some victims of child abuse become very strong fathers and mothers who love their children deeply. Abuse affects many children psychologically which leads to many children developing mental disorders later in life because of mistreatment.

For the children who have fathers who care about them deeply, you are very blessed. Never take having a father for granted. Make sure that your future children have a parent they can look up to and depend upon for love, respect, and advice. For the children who do not have fathers, it will be a hard road, but if you keep your head up, work hard, never give up, and maintain a great attitude, you can become someone great. When the time comes to raise a family, remember how precious your children are and make every effort to be in your children’s lives. For the children who have fathers who abuse them, you can become better than your father. Tell a teacher, tell a nurse, tell a policeman, or tell any trusted adult out there that you are being abused, that you need help, and you would like to get out of that situation. I know that telling someone is intimidating because if your abuser finds out that you told someone about the abuse you have been facing, your abuser could hurt you or your loved ones even more. When you become a father yourself, remember to treat your children with respect and dignity. If you find that you are hurting your children, do not hesitate to ask for help. There are experienced counsellors all over the country are willing to listen and are experienced with dealing with these situations.

Father’s Day is a very special day. It celebrates the hard work, the unconditional love, and the worth a father brings to his family each and every day.