To My Dad, Thank You

To My Dad, Thank You

I wouldn't be who I am today without your help.

444
To My Dad, Thank You
Hannah Westphal

Father, Mikey J, Dad. Perhaps it would have been more appropriate to title this thank you for being both my mom and my dad. There has so much you have done for me up to this point, and it would be impossible to recognize you for every little thing- but I can try.

The past 10 years have not been easy. Not for you, not for me, and certainly not for my sister. Yet, I have always admired how determined you were to make sure life could come somewhat close to being easy. And for that, I hope am eternally greatful.

From a very young age, you introduced me to hunting, four-wheeling, fishing, boating and traveling across the country. Not even two months out of the womb and you and I became close travel buddies during my first endeavor to Canada. Shortly thereafter, you and I would find ourselves traveling out of the R.V. to places like Disney World, Colorado, and Yellowstone, to name a few.

As I grew older, you taught me many valuable lessons. It was imperative to learn how to do things like cook, clean, sew, and do laundry on my own so that I could pull my own weight around the house. It was certainly a humbling experience to learn how to do all these things at a young age, and I grew up to be independent as a result.

Independence was something you took pride in teaching me, and I commend you for it. You taught me how to change a tire, start a fire, and even weld should I ever be alone in an emergency. This independence you taught us helped instill the realization that you truly cannot trust anyone. I find freedom and serenity in my independence, because it molded me to be a strong woman who doesn't need the help of others.

Later on, came more practical lessons that could be applied to everyday life. You taught me how to shoot and drive at age eight, how to lay down tile at 12, and then how to create an advertisement at 14.

Looking back on it now, it's clear to see that raising two girls on your own is certainly not easy, especially now. Sometimes you and I would have disagreements, and I would just simply not understand your side. Yet, I have always known that you have our best interests in mind.

And from that, everything became a learning experience. I quickly learned to just keep my mouth shut and do as you say because you have been doing this life thing a hell of a lot longer than I have, and maybe you do know what you're doing. While I may disagree I have always obeyed.

This "sit down and shut up" mentality came quite in handy later on though. You forced me to save up all the money I made from my 4 jobs so that I could use it in college. In addition to this, you encouraged me to stay in sports and extra-curricular activities throughout high school in order to help build the credibility of my college application. Little did I know then, it would help me massively in the long run.

And then the college talk came. Every teenager's favorite talk with their parents.... not.

It seems as though we struggled here. I wanted one thing, and you wanted another. I knew deep down you wanted me to be happy though. Yet, us both being stubborn Aries, it seemed as though it was hard to come to a reasonable conclusion. Eventually, I gave in, and you were right - yeah I said it.

Being away at school from you and everyone else in our large family has made me appreciate the time I spend with you that much more. School seems unfamiliar without hearing your bellowing call from my room urging me to help you hold the windshield up while you drill away at it in the garage. It is even more unfamiliar without you there to give me mini life lectures every night.

But I've made it by, all with the help of you.

I have always had wild and naive dreams and aspirations, and I think we have both known that for some time. But in my mind, they all make sense. One day, I do hope to make enough money to support you in your older age. I hope to buy you a log cabin in the mountains like you have always dreamed, so I work hard for you now.

We have always had the joke that "I was your birthday present" considering the neighboring proximities of our birthdays, but as I grow older, I realize it is quite the opposite. Nothing I do in my life could ever come close to what you have done for me. Yet, I hope to at least repay you in some way when I'm older as a way to show my everlasting appreciation for you.

I have heard that once you become a parent, your whole life's meaning changes. I often wonder about the person you were before you had kids. At the same time though, a small part of me is thankful I got to know this version of you. I wouldn't change anything about our lives for the world though. Everything that has led to this point has been essential in building us both.

I wish I could thank you for all that you have done for me, but my editors only let me write 1000 words. For if I could say more, I would spend the rest of my life dedicated to writing my gratitude to you.

For now, thank you Dad for being you, supporting me, raising me, and teaching me about the world. I am forever in your debt because of it. I love you.