Father's Day is for Frat Daddies

Father's Day is for Frat Daddies

6

Father's Day is coming up this weekend on Sunday, June 15th. Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there! Special shoutout to all the former frat star dads, including mine. 

My dad Chris was a Lambda Chi Alpha, Lambda Chi for short, at UCLA (University of California Los Angeles) in the early 1980s. The 80s seemed like a time when the frat movement was born. Bold, bright colors. The crew neck sweatshirts, polos, khakis, blazers, baseball caps, etc. Frat stars of the 80s, like my dad (the one on the far right with the light pink button down and pair of slacks paired with loafers in one of the pictures displayed), were preppy and fratastic.

If you take a look at the pictures that are paired with this article  you will see a photo of my dad in the 80s from a mixer with a sorority. Clearly the theme was Playboy bunnies and Hugh Hefner. By the way, that's my dad in the bottom left corner with a srat star on his lap. 

After being a frat bachelor, eventually he found his srat star soulmate, my mother. She was a Delta Gamma at UCLA. I try to follow their example by sratting it up here at Ole Miss. I hope they are proud. So far I've enjoyed being apart of Greek life. I know my parents did. I'm glad they supported me and encouraged me to rush and pledge a sorority. Along with being apart of a Greek organization, my dad was the intramural chair during his senior year. He led the Lambda Chi intramural flag football team to victory against Theta Xi in the 1984 Flag Football Championship. Can you say #FratDaddy ? 

I love hearing college stories from my dad. I've heard about some of the fun parties they attended, trips with his fraternity brothers, game days, and much more. One of of my favorite stories my dad tells is when my dad and his friends went to Ensenada, Mexico over spring break. My dad and his friends were passed out on the beach after a few Coronas and cocktails. Needless to say my dad woke up in the morning to find his hooded sweatshirt in the shape of a cone. "Conehead" became his nickname from then on and they kept an orange construction cone on the front porch of the Lambda Chi house for years. If you travel past the Lambda Chi house, the cone is still on the porch today.Good job dad for making yourself legacy in the frat! 

If your dad was in a fraternity during his college days, you should ask him to tell some stories about the good ole frat days, and ask him anyway if he wasn't apart of Greek life (I'm sure he has some good tales regardless). What's a better way to bond with your dad than to compare some college stories? The similarities might scare you.