Stop Calling Plus-Sized Women Fat B*tches

I will not doubt my worth because of my size.

39
IMG Models

Name calling is a go-to feature of bullying and its something that happens way too often in the world. For hundreds of years people have called others names to put them down, sometimes realizing they are being a bully, other times not. Today is no different. Throughout my life I have been called various versions of the phrase 'fat b*tch' from peers, people I considered friends, and sometimes spiteful family members. Words hurt, and they mark a person for life. I am writing this to forever state that I will no longer fall victim to this phrase. I am not a fat b*tch. And neither are other girls and women who have been called the same name.

The phrase 'fat b*tch' is a derogatory term people use to make others feel bad about their appearance, their size, and their worth. It is a known fact that the word 'fat' is always intended to be an insult, and insults are not words that are taken lightly.

As a child, I thought that my bullies were right. If so many people judged and criticized me for my weight then maybe my weight was holding me back from being a valuable member in the world. Maybe my size was keeping me back from being beautiful or worthy of friendship and love. I was told by others to recite to myself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.' The problem was, reciting that did not help. I still felt terrible about myself.

Middle school came and that was the worst. In a recreational basketball game, a bully tormented me because of my size. She laughed at me and encouraged her teammates to do the same. I cried to my parents and felt broken.Eventually being called fat became my weakness, something that was well known and often taken advantage of.

It wasn't until the last few years that body positive and self-love movements for plus-sized women arose in media. Suddenly I was seeing plus-sized women my size and larger referred to as beautiful, sexy, and #goals, which made me question all the emotions I've felt over the years. Movements like Beauty Beyond Size made me question whether or not it was worth it to continue to dwell in self-hatred or begin the process towards self-love. Thankfully, I took the latter approach.

I am not a fat b*tch because I am not merely my weight or my size. I am not a big, insecure girl constantly vulnerable for others to put down. I am so much more than what I may look like. I'm a girl who is learning about her physical and mental health and taking strides to improve aspects that I can. I am a girl who loves her family, friends, and dogs with every fiber of my being. I am a girl who loves laughing, watching movies, going to concerts, and being in the pool. I am a girl who loves burgers and cheesecake and is no longer ashamed to eat in public. I am a girl who gets easily excited when near dogs, deer, giraffes, and red cardinals.

I am a girl who deserves to be successful and happy. I don't need other people, or myself, to put me down or question the things I can do because of what I look like. I am a girl who gets easily irritated by others, especially those who put me down. I am a girl who is destined for greatness.

I will not allow myself to doubt my worth because of my size. And if you're a woman who has ever been called a fat b*tch and wondered if your bullies were true, I am writing this to promise you that your bullies are wrong. You are nothing like the demeaning words you have been called. You are an amazing person just as you are.