Why Fashion Policing Should Be A Thing Of The Past

We're all better than that.

70
MSNBC

We’ve all heard the saying “Here comes the Fashion Police” before. We’re all familiar with idea of these “Fashion Police.” Growing up, this was a term I would hear when my outfit didn’t really match, or when my hair was a mess and my shoes were covered in dirt. Nowadays, when I hear “Fashion Police,” aside from the image of Giuliana Rancic flashing in my mind with catchy music to pair, I think of "People Of Walmart" where unsuspecting shoppers have their picture taken because their outfits are outrageous, or even fashion blogs on Tumblr. Growing up, the Fashion Police seemed to be a joke.

Now, it seems everyone is worried about their appearance more than ever. Whether it’s worrying about what brands are the current hype or who’s wearing what, appearance has become more important to society than most anything else.

In some ways, this can be thought of as a positive. As a whole, the human population appears as attractive or fashionable. But this is more of a one way mindset. Keeping in mind that everyone has a different idea of fashion, especially different cultures, it’s a little hard for us all to appear as fashionable to everyone everywhere when we’re all so different.

This isn’t to say that being proud of your appearance is a negative thing. Always look your best if that’s what makes you happy. But always feel comfortable if that’s what makes you happy. What I’m trying to say is that we can't be attacking one another based entirely off of fashion.

The constant problem with fashion is that it changes. It changes so often that it’s almost hard to stay in fashion. What’s cute today is behind tomorrow, and what’s strange and mix-matched today is the hottest style tomorrow. How can you make fun of someone who could very well be the next fashion guru, with how the fashion world constantly changes. We’re all familiar with the use of leggings as pants, even I am a culprit of their comfy, easy appearance. Years ago, no one would have ever thought leggings would be the fashion norm. How about the popular 1980s jean choice, JNCO Jeans? If you’re not familiar with the jeans, they were extremely large billowy jeans that look incredibly bootcut and incredibly out of control. They were, however, “all the rage” when they first hit the market. I know I wouldn’t be caught dead in a pair, but maybe for someone else, those are the only jeans that they can see themselves wearing.

It doesn’t just stop at the actual fabrics you wear, it has everything to do with every aspect of appearance. Everyone is familiar with the 2007 Britney Spears meltdown where she shaved her head following a string of events. The story was on the cover of every single magazine, on all the online news reports, the pictures are still famously shared around media sites today. Why does a distressed women’s actions become national media coverage? Because starlets should never appear as anything other than fashionably perfect. What about when Giuliana Rancic, the star of the Fashion Police television series, commented on the appearance of Zendaya Coleman’s hair during the Oscars when she sported dreadlocks. Rancic has been quoted as saying that Zendaya looks like she “smells like patchouli oil. Or, weed.” Why dreadlocks are connected to smelling like weed, or why Zendaya’s appearance should have gotten any remark, is beyond me.

You see, the problem isn’t that fashion is constantly changing or that we all have different ideas about fashion, it’s that we attack others that don’t fit our idea of fashion. We label people, shove them off into groups of people who might dress the same and then attack these groups just like we had attacked the individual. I, too, have been this person. I’m not here to preach about what should be when I too have been a culprit. I’m trying to say that at this point, it needs to change.

When I was kid, my understanding was that we dressed in uniforms at school because it made us look neater as a whole, more put together. As I got older, I would hear teachers discussing children being bullied for their appearance and how the school should enforce a uniform policy. The worst part about this is that even when we wear uniforms, other women police our appearance compared to their own in their uniforms. The policing doesn’t end. Regardless of the efforts we make to dash out policing, it is always there. It is a conscious decision we have to make ourselves, to stop judging others on things they can’t always control or on things that really are just too trivial.