How To Dress Like The Characters In "Mamma Mia!"

7 Fashion Tips To Live Your Best 'Mamma Mia!' Life If You Can't Get To Greece

If I can't dance on an island in Greece, then I'll dance around in my living room wearing a wardrobe inspired by "Mamma Mia!"

1725
Mamma Mia

I would say I've been a fan of "Mamma Mia!" probably as long as I've loved musicals (so... always). I tormented my family for weeks by singing ABBA songs when I got into the first movie (and after seeing the actual play live), so you can imagine how stoked I was when the trailer for "Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again" was released. To no surprise, I absolutely loved the sequel and came home feeling like I was on cloud nine. Since I have to be a responsible adult and not blow my entire savings to buy a one-way ticket to Greece, I settled for putting together fun outfits inspired mainly by young Donna Sheridan's (played by the talented Lily James who knocked this role out of the park) wardrobe.

1. Bell sleeve tops

Both ABBA and the 1970s are known for their flashy colors and ruffles among several other components. Wearing blouses or tunics with bell-shaped sleeves will accentuate your arm movements and give off the same carefree vibe as Donna.

2. Bell bottoms

upload.wikimedia.org

Yes, the bell shape shows up often in 1970s clothing. The beauty of these pants is that they could come in a variety of patterns and can be dressed up or down. For my personal fashion tastes, I wouldn't pair the aforementioned bell sleeve tops with a pair of these pants, but rather a simple top as shown in the picture. If the pants were patterned, I would pair them with a solid-colored shirt that complements all the colors in the bottoms.

3. When in doubt, remember to keep it fun, yet practical

In this article from Racked, costume designer Michele Clapton discusses a theme she kept in mind while working: "The movie is about a girl who slept with three people, and she doesn't know who the father is. I wanted it to be about her as a strong woman and a modern woman and not a victim of this. I wanted her to be in control of the situation." As a result, she discusses her reasoning behind pairing dresses with a pair of shorts or maintaining a practical option of footwear like boots.

4. Dungarees

These are iconic in "Mamma Mia!" and therefore a must-have in any inspired wardrobe! The fabulous Meryl Streep, who plays Donna in the original movie, wears these while running around her hotel to repair it. Dungarees are great for running errands, but they could also be dressed up for events like brunches.

5. Rings

I've loved wearing multiple rings on my hands for a while now, but I was ecstatic when I saw how they also worked with the fashions in "Mamma Mia!" Personally, I think this style is a great way to dress up your hands if you're wearing minimal jewelry on the rest of your body.

6. Floppy sun hats

As a pale person, I am all about pieces of fashion that will help protect my skin from sunburns, UV rays, and tan lines that stick around for over two years (along with a healthy amount of sunscreen; never forget it!) If you want to make it look more casual, you could tie strips of patterned fabric around the base of the brim to act as an accent color like Young Donna does in the sequel.

7. Patterns that are erratic, but with a purpose

I know I've mentioned the word "patterns" several times, but they really are great pieces to act as the focus of your outfit. Once you have found the desired clothing, you can build the rest of the look around it. Additionally, different types of patterns can be worn casual or formal.

Now go forth with your new look, Dancing Queen!