8 Water Sports To Dive Into During Fall

8 Water Sports To Dive Into During Fall

Best Outdoor Water Activities

18
8 Water Sports To Dive Into During Fall

Water sports can be really thrilling and exciting. It does not matter if you are a newbie or a professional, the exhilaration that one feels when in the water is really unmatched. Most people think that water sports can only be enjoyed in the summer, but they are wrong because there are a lot of water sports that can be enjoyed during autumn too.

1. Coasteering

This is one of the best water sports to enjoy during autumn. You will be swimming, climbing and finding cliffs and coves. The cold water will not hamper you. In fact, it will motivate you to keep moving so that you can stay warm. You can also carry outdoor changing accessories to warm yourself quickly. In the United Kingdom, there are many coasteering areas such as South Devon, Dorset, North Devon, Pembrokeshire and many more areas waiting to be discovered.

2. Ice diving

This is a sport for those who love the thrills of life. However, this is not an individual sport, it is a team sport because a person will dive underneath ice and the water below will be freezing cold. Only divers who have advanced certifications in open water diving can even take part in the Ice Diving course and upon successful completion, they can dive with their team. The best spots for ice diving can be found in Russia, Antarctica, Iceland and Switzerland.

3. Ice swimming

Yes, Ice Swimming is a water sport. People swim during winter but in heated pools or indoor pools, whereas ice swimming is swimming in water which is less than 41 degrees Fahrenheit. Ice swimmers are allowed to wear only goggles, cap and the normal swimsuit. It is believed that swimming in cold water can provide health benefits, however, do not rush into it but get into it slowly. As you get better with ice swimming, you can progress to the ice mile and so on.

4. Ice fishing

In days gone by people used spears to fish under ice. But, technology has improved so much now that ice fishermen can use GPS and other technologies, like sonar, to help them catch fish. The tents are very comfortable now with heaters etc. The ice fisherman still needs to cut a hole in the frozen ice, drop the fishing line and wait for the fish to catch, this has not changed. Lake Michigan is considered to be a good spot for ice fishing. Other popular locations are in Russia, Canada and Europe.

5. Snow Kiting

Kite boarding has become quite popular and the same sport in the snow is known as snow kiting. Zipping downhill using the kites along with snowboards in the winter months is snow kiting, and it is also gaining in popularity. The best places for snow kiting are Switzerland, Canada, Austria and Norway.

6. Snow kayaking

This is a relatively new sport and is classified as an extreme sport. You slide down hill on a kayak and into the water. There are not many places to snow kayak except at some ski resorts.

7. Ice boating

Ice Boating or Ice Yachting has been a sport for nearly a century. If you like to sail, you will love to sail in the winter, too. The Great Lakes are a great spot to do some ice boating.

8. Ice surfing

Ice Surfing is similar to windsurfing, but you surf on ice on razor thin blades and use the sail to steer. Montana and New Hampshire are the ideal locations for ice surfing.