Fall Out Boy’s New Album “MANIA” Deserves To Be At The Top Of Every Chart

Ride the M A N I A wave y’all.

94
FallOutBoyVEVO

Earlier this month, Fall Out Boy finally released their much anticipated seventh album, “MANIA”. Despite some criticism about their ever-evolving sound, “MANIA” is probably my favorite album to date. Of course, I love their old stuff and the classics but something about this record is so passionate and real, but I may also be a little biased because I love the whole purple aesthetic.

The album was originally supposed to be released in September of last year but lead singer Patrick Stump wasn't happy with how the album was progressing. In August we found out it would be pushed back to 2018. This album was definitely worth the wait though and I haven’t stopped listening to it since it came out. This is my breakdown of the tracks of “MANIA”.

“Young And Menace”

Released on April 27th, of last year, this was the first single and first look at “MANIA”. It was a huge change from the music they’ve put out in the past and after hearing the EDM-like sound, some people were not fans at all. According to Spotify, this was my most played song of 2017 so obviously, I didn’t agree with the haters. This song also really signified a new FOB era that I can’t wait to experience.

“Champion”

This track was the second single released and it was a little more recognizable for the older fans. The lyrics send a great message about being a champion and being able to do anything.

“Stay Frosty Royal Milk Tea”

This is definitely one of my favorite songs off the album by far. This song reminded people of the ‘old’ Fall Out Boy and wasn’t one of the five singles so it was new for all of us. There are references to the wave artwork and icon for this album as well as references of celebrities. The lyrics are exceptional as always and I wouldn’t expect anything less from some of the best lyricists of our time.

“HOLD ME TIGHT OR DON’T”

This was the fourth single off the album and had some “Young And Menace” vibes but was still a nice mix of the new and old FOB. The music video took inspiration from a Dia de Los Muertos celebration and has references to some of their past albums and songs. We were able to hear this one in November and it was a good tune to end the year with.

“The Last Of The Real Ones”

This is in my top three favorite songs off the album and uses space imagery to illustrate a one of a kind romance. This was the third single of the album, put out right before the original release date. I didn’t listen to it much at the time but now I’m head over heels in love with it.

“Wilson (Expensive Mistakes)”

This was the fifth and final single for “MANIA” and was released a week before the album dropped. It was a great way to transition into the album release week and has an upbeat sound. Lyrics reference more old songs as well as a “The Addams Family” nod.

“Church”

MY FAVORITE SONG OF THE ALBUM, IT IS A BOP. Patrick’s voice sounds so good and the church vibes are super cool; there are cathedral bells, a choir, and a pipe organ to accompany his beautiful soulful voice.

“Heaven’s Gate”

This track connects nicely with “Church” and is a little bit of a different sound for them. When talking about the track Patrick has said “I think that one… it’s weird because it felt really natural to all of us when we were playing it; I don’t think any of the four of us thought twice about that song. But internally, when our friends heard it or management heard it and stuff, they’re like, ‘Wow, this is really different for you guys’. And that just kind of surprised me, because I think that was one of the ones that fell together the most naturally, you know? It’s very us."

“Sunshine Riptide”

This track is another song pulling in the wave icon and is the only song on the album with a featured artist. Burna Boy, a Nigerian singer-songwriter, adds a great sound to the song. Overall “Sunshine Riptide” just makes me want to drive down the coast of California at sunset looking at the ocean.

“Bishops Knife Trick”

This is the final track on “MANIA” and it was has a more serious feel to it for me at least. There are rumors the words reference old albums artwork and the band’s relationship with each other, as well as dealing with extreme sadness. The lyrics are thoughtfully put together and create a beautiful ending to their seventh album.

The record overall gives off a beautifully portrayed theme of mania. The listener can hear some of the manic thoughts, actions, and hyper fixations of love throughout the discography. Everyone should check out “MANIA” and the new sound that FOB have once again created just for themselves. Fall Out Boy have truly knocked it out of the park with this album and on that note, I can’t wait to see them come back home to Chicago in September at Wrigley Field.