Fake Recognize Fake And I Hope I'm Looking Unfamiliar

Superficiality due to social media has split our personalities to virtual and physical.

56
"Real recognize real and you looking unfamiliar" — 2 Chainz

I find it the funniest when I am scrolling through my infinite Facebook feed and I read a post that goes something like this "If you want to say something bad about me, my family, or something that I did. Don't take it to Facebook and bash me. Come to tell me in person." As if this person is going to take time out of their day to personally come and see you and talk about something. How naive we've become. Because the same post that implies a personal encounter is being posted for everyone to see, so now your business that was meant to be a personal encounter is now a Facebook intervention.

Let's face it. There is a difference between people's social media identity/personality and their real identity/personality. Just try approaching someone who has more than 5,000 followers and watches their head swell up as you look like a gawking fan who is compelled by their wonderful angled shots, three-year traveling photos, and weight-loss promotion products. When in reality you find out they are just as hopeless when it comes to life as you are. They just make it look good through lighting and editing.

Now, it seems like I sound like a broken tape recorder, but the superficial egos that social media is creating for us are becoming devastating at a steadily increasing rate. How you handle text messages and your texting etiquette is different from the way you handle conversations. I was once told that having my read messages on was bold. Who would have imagined that notifying someone about reading their notification would make you bold? I simply thought that someone knowing that I read their message would give them assurance that I got their message.

Lastly, is the psychological effect of all this on all of us. From the bold message reader to the social media personality our phones are becoming a separate entity of us rather than an extension of us. There should be no difference between how you handle yourself on social media and the physical world. Promoting and being an advocate of whatever you choose should reflect the way you live your life. We all love to repost and retweet these relatable memes and encouraging words, but yet when we go out to the physical world we are living the complete opposite.

What are we trying to portray? Are you really you? Or are you your @ name?