10 Facts That History Teachers Never Told You

The Founding Fathers of America are seen as heroes, and are sometimes looked at as perfect. But you may have more in common with these Fathers than you think.

124
WikiMedia

The Founding Fathers.

There's a 99.9% chance that a majority of the people in the United States know at least one of our "Founding Fathers"—the men who helped jumpstart this country and fought the British against taxation (oh the irony).

But there are a lot of things that you may not know about the Founding Fathers and their buddies—little known facts and tidbits that definitely make history ten times more interesting than any other facts you learned in history class. So get ready and buckle up for a wild ride through America's history and their peculiar founders!

1. We all laugh about Texas being it's own little country and having it's own... unique culture. But did you know that Aaron Burr, the second Vice President of the United States and the man who shot Alexander Hamilton, wanted to create an empire out of what now is Texas?

I wonder what would have happened if they went through with it...

2. Thomas Jefferson was a part of a "collegiate secret society", otherwise known as a Fraternity! Yep, Jefferson was a part of the Flat Hat Club while he studies at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. The Fraternity started in 1750 and has been revived many times. As of now, it's supposedly still in operations.

Yeah... I guess Thomas Jefferson got, as the kids would say, LIT at those greek life socials.

3. Speaking of the kids these days, what's more difficult than sneaking out late at night to go hang out with friends? Probably sneaking out of your own country to go defend the FREEDOM OF AMERICA!

That's right, Frenchman Marquis de Lafayette (whom literally all places in Saint Louis are named after) at the tender age of 17, decided to sneak out of France and go help fight in America against the British. It's rumored that he had to either dress up as commoner or even as a woman to avoid being seen.

4. Sex Symbol?! Who comes to mind? Marilyn Monroe? Tom Cruise? Well back in the 18th century, ole Ben Franklin was a hit with the ladies, especially in France.

On numerous occasions he wrote about the women he met on his trips to France. He even wrote a letter about how to choose a mistress! Ladies from all over, in ages ranging from 18 to 45, were fawning over the brilliant Benjamin Franklin. He could have been the modern day equivalent to a sugar daddy even... Just imagine having Ben Franklin as your sugar daddy.

5. An entry from Aaron Burr's journal might have had historians thinking that the battles fought between American and Britain were rough and tumble... but in reality, the attackers of Burr were just some bugs.

In an article dated July 12th, 1809, he wrote, "Went to bed at 1. Attacked by bed bugs. Fought hard till 4, slaying thousands, but the number of the enemies increasing, resolved on a retreat. The sun had risen; began by taking the sheets, coverlid, and pillows out doors, beating and shaking them well; then stripped and changed my clothes, and laid me on the floor. Got a sound nap of five hours."

Poor Burr must have been so tired... Sounds like me during finals.

6. We all have beef with certain people or maybe just don't get along well with them. And that's as far as it goes for most people. But for Thomas Jefferson, just hating his enemy wasn't enough. Instead, he had a bust of his sworn enemy: Alexander Hamilton, in his Monticello home.

His only reason was just to have a very costly bust of Alexander just to be petty. The beef between Jefferson and Hamilton went on well up until Hamilton death in 1804.

7. No one rarely ever hears about the wives of the Founding Fathers, therefore, we never get any fun or interesting tidbits about them. But in the case of Martha Washington, George Washington's wife, there's one particularly amusing fact about her and her relationship with Thomas Jefferson: When outliving all her children and her two husbands, she was asked what the worst day of her life was. She responded by saying that her worst day was when Thomas Jefferson came to visit them.

Damnnnn Martha! Seems like not a lot of people got along with Jefferson...

8. There's petty, then there's being EXTRA petty. George Washington reached that level of extra petty when he refused to respond to a letter from the British because they didn't address him in the proper way.

George was petty before the word was even invented! I think we all aspire to be that level of petty one day.

9. Thomas Jefferson was a scholar of his time and he loved to read! But it got to an extent where he went bankrupt. Jefferson would buy books every time he passed a shop that had books available. He bought so many that he literally ran out of money. So the government and Jefferson mad a deal. He would sell his 6,487 books to the government for $23,950. That book collection is now the Library of Congress.

We now have a Library of Congress because Jefferson really liked books.

10. Funerals are usually somber and modest. We're celebrating someone's life and helping their loved ones grieve. It's usually a quiet event where we remember the people that have passed on. In the case of Andrew Jackson's funeral, it was quite the opposite.

Jackson had a parrot and during the funeral, the parrot was kicked out because it kept saying "fuck" over and over again. Seeing as how parrots usually take after their owners, it makes one think what the else Jackson was saying around his parrot. Seems as if Jackson had a... fowl... mouth!