5 Surprising and Interesting Facts About Pit Bulls

92
pitbul dog

Pit bulls aren't a specific breed but rather the generic term used to describe all kinds of American Staffordshire Terriers and American Pit Bull Terriers as well as mixes. They were originally used for bull baiting, i.e., to participate in a blood sport to fight bulls. Eventually, they became farm dog breeds and later evolved to be family dogs due to their gentleness and companionship.

There are some interesting facts about this breed that not many dog lovers know.

They Have a Strong Temperament

Dog breeds

These dogs are determined and loving creatures. They don't rest until they have completed the task, whether it's getting through the fence to explore the neighborhood or climbing on you to shower you with kisses. They're remarkably loving and crave your attention and affection.

Unlike popular belief, Pit bulls do surprisingly well in temperament tests and turn into affectionate, wonderful and loyal companions.

They Were Banned

These dogs need care and are intelligent and tenacious pets. They thrive in the hands of a proper owner, but sadly, they're mostly possessed by people who intend to put them in dog fights for the sake of entertainment. Most military bases in the US banned these dogs not because of the dogs themselves but due to the owners using them for bloodbaths and battles and training them to become aggressive and dangerous.

They Have Many Allergies

Pit bulls are prone to allergies and are often taken to the vet for this purpose. Following are some allergies that are common in Pit bulls:

• Atopic Dermatitis:A type of skin allergy caused by dust, molds or mites and can result in excessive licking and chewing the paws or abdomen
  • Cherry Eye: Caused by inhaling chemicals that can make the eyes cherry-colored
  • Contact Allergy: Can occur after coming into contact with allergens such as wood, plants and grass
  • Inhalant Allergy:Occurs as a result of inhaling allergens such as dust, mites, pollen, or chemicals. This causes itching around the feet, abdomen, and groin and can also cause the dog to have ear infections
  • Food Allergy:These dogs are mostly allergic to wheat, beef, additives, eggs, artificial products, sugar, etc. This may result in diarrhea, gagging, seizures, and reactions similar to other allergies
  • Flea Allergy:Allergic reactions in dogs occur through fleas in the saliva

They Have Powerful Physical Traits

Pit bulls have an average lifespan of anywhere between 8 and 15 years. The females' weight range between 12 and 36 kgs, while their height is approximately 46 cm. The males' weight range between 14 and 36 kgs and their height is approximately 48 cm.

Famous Pit Bulls

Petey was a Pit bull cast in the famous movie "The Little Rascals," easily recognized through the black marking around his eye. Then there's Lucy, who you might know as Champion if you've watched the famous show Parks and Rec on NBC, who is a three-legged dog owned by the characters of Chris Pratt and Aubrey Plaza.

The most star-studded Pit bull of all time was a World War 1 hero! Sergeant Stubby, the official mascot of the 102nd Infantry Regiment, is well-known and applauded for taking a German spy captive.

These are the basic facts you need to be aware of if you're a Pit bull or overall dog lover. They're tremendously sensitive and attention-seeking companions and don't do well with owners who are busy and incapable of tending to the dog's needs. They are active and energetic due to which they require long walks and a lot of exercise.

They need appropriate grooming and early training. A lack of the former would result in allergies and other health problems, while a lack of the latter results in aggression and stubborn behavior. They may not be the one to start fights, but they won't back away from one unless they finish it.

They may seem dangerous on paper, but if given the right affection and care, these dogs develop into the most loving and playful companions. They're not just a dog; under the right supervision, they can become the perfect pet you've always wished for.