It May Still Feel Like Winter, But Spring Is Coming

Life after the expiration date.

221
Kerry Sheehan-Delany

Nothing lasts forever, and this is one of the hardest things to accept in a society dependent on chances, opportunities, and dreams. It is the most unfathomable universal truth—the catalyst of grief. The hardest pill to swallow.

Why do we decide to do things? Get that coffee? Go to college?

Eventually, you will see the bottom of that coffee cup. The four years will have gone by, and it will be time to go somewhere new. Time is the illusionary expiration. Four years seem like a long time. That coffee will take some time to sip on.

Papers need to be turned in by a certain date. Someday my chapstick will run out. We read books to finish them.

We do things with the awareness that they are only temporary, but because the end isn’t right now, we accept it and wait until we need to cross that bridge. These bridges are everywhere, and we need to stop and take a look around. If you’ve ever seen "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," you will know that “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” Don’t worry about it, but don’t miss it.

The best coping mechanism I have found with these perpetual expiration dates is to simply keep going. Keep exploring. Find something new that will fill the void you think has left a permanence on your life, and take a deep breath.

If going through something has significantly changed you, find that thing that will change you next. Every experience makes up a little bit of who you are. Love it. Take it all in. Remember it. We are constantly changing in a world that is constantly spinning madly on.

Don't know how? Well, how did you start the last time? I promise you, this isn’t the first thing to have expired.

Food expires. Medications expire. Life expires. The longest and most inevitable expiration date is life. We live our lives knowing that one day they will end. The time we have before that date is the comfort used to live our lives to the fullest, so we live them.

We do decide whether we want to drink that coffee, go to college, or drink that milk after the expiration date. We do hold some of the power.

When that expiration date is near, don’t be afraid, for Semisonic has it right by reassuring us that, “Every new beginning comes from some other beginnings end.”