Experimenting With Food (Eggs)

Experimenting With Food (Eggs)

Experiment when you cook- even eggs can get interesting.

347

God, I love living in the 21st century. With the increase of globalization, privileged people like me, who can afford to buy quality ingredients and food, are having the time of their lives. I live in a diverse place that honestly could be considered a culinary gem. Within a 10 mile radius of my house, there are already a multitude of cultures that can be found in restaurants and grocery stores.

The diversity of my community allows me to partake in life's greatest pleasure: food. I cook my own food often, usually grabbing a cut from an Asian supermarket then adding my own Asian inspired flavours. While I obviously can't get the best quality cuts, I've learned that a tenderizer and a little vinegar has the power to make tough short ribs just fall off the bone. The variety helps too-it's easy to find inspiration in stores like these- they often have rows of foreign spices and add-ins.

Small tip for those just starting to appreciate food: experiment. There are plenty of guides online, but if you're cooking for yourself, try something new. If you like cumin, maybe try making a butter cumin sauce for noodles, or try cooking things at a different heat. Eggs are a great example. One would think that you can either boil or fry an egg, and it would taste plain and the same each time. A little bit of spice and some creativity, and eggs become the perfect midnight snack.

Most nights, if I feel lazy, I end up frying an egg with a little sea salt in the yolk (runny, of course). Eggs are so underappreciated. It takes less than a minute to cook an egg, the hardest part being the caution required to flip an egg properly. I like to fry for a while on one side, sprinkle salt in the yolk, then flip it over so the salt becomes trapped in the yolk, which creates this thick, salty mixture that just sends you to heaven.

And eggs just seem like a boring food at first. But with access to spices and different methods of cooking, even eggs can be fun to cook.