Coming to the United States isn't an easy process. There are many steps people have to go through to enter the United States "legally" if you are looking to be a permanent resident. There are many ways you are able to apply, but that doesn't mean you'll be approved. Some people have to apply over and over until they get approved.

People can apply for a Green Card through family, employment, special immigrant, refugee/asylee, trafficking and crime victims, and abuse victims.

After an applicant meets one of these eligibilities, they will need to have someone sponsor/petition them, so they will not be getting any government benefits if for some reason they can no longer work.

Once the USCIS approves you petition and there is a visa available then you can fill out a Green Card application with USCIS. According to U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services.

When applying for a Green Card, biometrics have to be taken. That means there are fingerprints, a photo and a signature. The last step is going to an interview where they will ask any question about family, drugs and work history etc.

After all, that is done you wait for your application decision, which they could approve or deny for any reason. For this process, it could cost about 2,060 dollars just for filing and even when paying that you can be denied.

Family experience

For my family, my dad, Juan Luis Servin Perez, applied through my mom Shannon Servin-Obert. They had to wait five years before he was approved to get his Green Card.

During that time he was denied for the Green Card and the workers working at the immigration office throw away all the applications and pictures of his family in the garbage right in front of him. He had to stay in Mexico for another two years.

The next time he applied my mom and I had moved because she was attending medical school, so we had to send them the new address. The immigration office sent us a verification letter to our new address confirming the address. When they sent a verification letter for the actual interview for his Green Card, they sent it to the old address and did not take any responsibility for this mistake and made him wait another six months in Mexico for a new interview.

He was away from his wife and child for two years, that is two years that will never be given back to our family, I was six years old at the time.

My Opinions

Some families are having to wait up to 20 years before they can be approved for there permanent residence. They have to deal with mistakes that may not be their fault and have people be disrespectful to them just to get denied.

People who are born in the United States don't understand that is isn't easy to come here in the first place and in the current administration will only make it even harder on people who are coming here for a chance at something better.

To expect everyone to line up and do it the "legal way" is an insult when so many odds are against them. Shaming the people that come here and are undocumented is an act of being ignorant and uninformed about the situation they face on a daily basis in their countries.

Elie Wiesel, writer, Nobel Peace Prize winner and Holocaust survivor said, "You who are so-called illegal aliens must know that no human being is illegal. That is a contradiction in terms. Human beings can be beautiful or more beautiful, they can be fat or skinny, they can be right or wrong, but illegal? How can a human being be illegal."