NAC Talks Career Path, Musical Influences, and New Music

NAC is an American hip-hop artist, songwriter, and singer from New Jersey. He has been writing and recording music since 2010. With every project, Nac creates there is a strong focus on the message, as well as the quality.

26

Young star NAC is making waves in New Jersey, with his musical talents and creativity, separating him from all other artists. He is a hardworking artist that is dedicated to his music.

We had the chance to talk with NAC one on one via Instagram to talk about his career path and the interesting stories behind his success in the music industry.

1. Can you tell us a story about what brought you to this specific career path?

- I'm sure I am not the only one but growing up as a kid I always saw myself not living a normal life. I never saw myself having a nine-to-five job. I always loved music and since the third grade, I've been playing creating music.

2. Can you share the most interesting story that happened to you since you started this career?

- The most interesting story I have since I've started this music career is the night of my release party for my album "I Am Error". This was my first time showing a large group of people my unreleased music. I was very nervous and to keep myself calm I started to drink. As the night went on, so did the drinking. By the time the album finished playing fully through, I was drunk. I did my closing speech thanking everyone for coming out and explaining how much the project meant to me. As everyone there started to leave and I started to wrap things up. I felt like I was on top of the world. For the first time ever, my music made me the center of attention. But once I finished getting my things together I looked up and noticed I was alone. The strangers that came were gone. My friends and family were gone. My ride home was gone. I instantly got kicked off the "top of the world" back to reality. And that moment/story has stuck with me ever since.

3. Can you share a story about the funniest mistake you made when you were first starting? Can you tell us what lesson you learned from that?

- The funniest mistake I made when I was first starting out was when I hired an "animator" off Fiverr. I was working on releasing a song called "Love is for Suckers". And I knew to help promote the song a lyrical video would help get some attention. Not only did this "animator" come from Fiverr, but he also did not speak English. I would have to use google translator to figure out what was going on with the video. The video was supposed to take about 2-3 weeks but took about 5-6 weeks. By that time, I was asking for a refund. He continued to deny the refund request and promised the wait would be worth it. When I finally got the lyrical video I could not even be mad. The video was awful. The animations looked like Sim characters in front of a Windows PC wallpaper. My lyrics were wrong. The characters in the lyric video would randomly run out of frame so there would be shots of nothing. I was in tears crying because of course, this was going to be bad. It was a terrible idea from the start. But I did learn not to just have blind faith over the internet just because you pay someone. I have used Fiverr again but for more basic stuff.

4. What are some of the most interesting or exciting projects you are working on now?

- As of right now, I am working on a couple of different projects. One is related to "The Midnight Album" and the other two are brand new EPs. One of the EPs will have a more focused concept around it. While the other will be looser with the concept.

5. Who are some of the most interesting people you have interacted with? What was that like? Do you have any stories?

- Some of the more interesting people I have interacted with, without saying names, are music promoters. Music promoters can come off as your biggest fans that only heard one song or just a used car salesman. At the end of the day, some do want to help you but always remember they are trying to make some money too.

6. Which tips would you recommend to your colleagues in your industry to help them to thrive and not "burn out"?

- Always have side projects going on. Whether those side projects be another album or even something totally outside of music like writing a book. By constantly working on one project at a time, I found myself rushing or pushing through near the end because I just wanted to start something new. I like to experiment with my music and also with my brand. At the end of it all, I'm an artist.

7. You have been blessed with success in a career path that can be challenging. Do you have any words of advice for others who may want to embark on this career path, but seem daunted by the prospect of failure?

- Personally, I do not feel that I am successful in music right now. But I've always had confidence that I will be. I never said things like "If we make it". I've always said, "When we make it". Cause I just know I will. But at the same time, too much confidence is bad. I am confident, but I am still getting advice and learning from others.

8. Can you share with our readers any self-care routines, practices, or treatments that you do to help your body, mind, or heart to thrive? Kindly share a story or an example for each.

- Honestly, I don't believe I have any routines or practices I consistently do that help my body and mind. As an artist, I do focus more on holding in emotions throughout everyday life until I'm in a safe environment to create. It is not healthy mentally to hold in emotions but for my style of art and lifestyle right now, it works for me.

9. What are your "5 things I wish someone told me when I first started" and why. Please share a story or example for each.

- Five things I wished someone told me when I first started would be: First, Do not let your ego make important decisions. Second, have reasonable expectations and goals. Third, collaborations and networking are very important. Fourth, Be ready to lose friends that do not believe in your passion or dream. Fifth, honesty and realness will always be respected.

10. Can you please give us your favorite "Life Lesson Quote"? Can you share how that was relevant to you in your life?

- Throughout my whole life even to this day, I am always saying "Everything Happens For a Reason". I've been through some dark times and I personally feel that I haven't been through my darkest time yet. But every time something good or bad happens to me or a loved one of mine I'm always saying "Everything Happens For a Reason".

11. None of us are able to achieve success without some help along the way. Is there a particular person who you are grateful towards who helped get you to where you are? Can you share a story about that?

- Within the music industry, the one person that helped me achieve the success I have right now is an old co-worker of mine named Larry. Larry was the first legit music producer I met and talked to about the industry. He brought me to events where I could network with other creators and artists. He was able to answer all my "beginner questions" about the music industry. But I will never forget the time we talked about losing a loved one. When I say losing a loved one, I do not mean losing them cause of death. I mean losing them as in losing touch with them. Sometimes to elevate and improve yourself you have to lose touch with old loved ones that bring negative energy. It is extremely hard to let go of the past to move forward but because of Larry and that conversation we had, I am able to grow. Not just in the music industry, but grow as a man. Thank you, Coach!

12. You are a person of enormous influence. If you could start a movement that would bring the most amount of good to the most amount of people, what would that be? You never know what your idea can trigger. :-)

- I have no idea what movement I would start. In my music, I speak a lot of suicide, depression, and self-hatred. Therefore, the movement would have to be something related to that. Either like giving more of a voice to people with similar thoughts or teaching people how to understand someone that has self-hatred and is depressed.

13. We are very blessed that some of the biggest names in Business, VC funding, Sports, and Entertainment read this column. Is there a person in the world, or in the US whom you would love to have a private breakfast or lunch, and why? He or she might see this. :-)

- Wow, that's a hard question. Part of me wants to say Kid Cudi because he means so much to me even beyond just an artist's influence. Kid Cudi has saved my life and will again in the future, I'm sure of it. But the other half of me wants to say Joe Budden because I would love to pick his brain apart with questions about the music industry. I believe Joe has and will continue to make moves for the better of the culture of Hip Hop and it is something I hope to do in the future as well.

14 How can our readers follow you online?

- If anyone wants to find me and learn more about me my Instagram is @nac_nj Instagram is what I am on the most out of all the social media garbage. Also check out my newest album titled, "The Midnight Album" which is available on all streaming platforms! Thank you and be safe!